Thread: Wanted: Mustang style column shift collar

Wanted: Mustang style column shift collar

I need to swap out my column shift piece for a smooth one from a Mustang. Does anyone have one they want to part with?
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Pat,
    Are you talking about the shift collar??
    If so look for a 70's Ford F-150 as another possible source..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Yes I am. I don't know why I couldn't think of the proper part name in the original post.
    Patrick Brown

I see these on ebay a lot, but they usually think they are made of gold or something. I got my first one (for the wagon) at a swap meet and another on a steering column I bought on ebay for my 67 pickup. They are common on pre-key style columns on the 60's Mustang and the 67-72 Ford pickup with floor shift.

Another option is to take yours and saw off all the protrusions and for about $.50 worth of Bondo fill in the holes and sand smooth.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    Another option is to take yours and saw off all the protrusions and for about $.50 worth of Bondo fill in the holes and sand smooth.
    I was thinking about that. I would probably use JB Weld as a filler and sand it smooth, prime, and paint.
    Patrick Brown

That works too. I filled all the holes I had to fill on my interior trim pieces with JB, but found I had to use something more malleable and less apt to trap air bubbles for the finish stages. Best guess with the shift hole being as large as it is, may be the case here too.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

here's complete column...

http://tinyurl.com/cn5sy5
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

I've got a whole column taking up space sitting in my trunk (not much storage in the new garage) but think I'll probably hold onto it for now. If I put it in, I'll have to repaint in and then it won't match the rest of the interior, and I'm not ready for that big a job yet!
    Thor Johnson
    www.flickr.com/photos/sedanman
    Low & Slow '64 2dr Sedan
    Stock(for now)200 I-6, Lokar shifted C-4, Wedge kit,V-8 coils, dropped granada spindles/discs,GT leaves,3.0 8 inch

Pat, I have a new one with the shifting arm ears on it. If you wanted to experiment with cuttig and filling, I can bring it to the meeting on Wednesday for you.

I was going to use quick steel or JB stick to fill the holes and skim coat it with bondo once the hole is filled..

seal, prime, and paint.. I've done it this way before with good results..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

Pat,
    I picked-up a 76 Ford truck collar today at the yard.
    It looks like it will bolt up but it has a hole in it for the hazzard switch..
    So.. mid to late 70's may not be an option after all, unless you want to add four way flashers to your ride..
    Still don't know why I bought the darn thing..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

... maybe you can mount a micro tachometer from that hole.

the hole is about the 3 o' clock postion. It's really small, but it could work..

Something about the late 70's collars are popular just about every truck had its column missing.. I did find out that it's $6 for the collar or the whole column.. which would explain why the whole columns were missing..

I would have taken the hazard switch but it's part of the turn signal switch and it's made of cheap plastic.. I like the metal switches I have in my cars..

adding hazards would be neat though..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper

I stand corrected..

The 76 truck collar worked..I was being dumb..
    the truck collar uses two screws to hold the turn signal collar to the lower collar..
    Well what I didn't know is that the falcon turn signal collar has those two screw hole already proveded, So
    you use the lower collar from the truck and the turn signal collar from your car.. an walla you have a smooth bumpless column..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper