Thread: 5.0 HO engine?

5.0 HO engine?

Hey guys,

I have opportunity to buy a 1994 5.0 HO engine pulled from a mustang. I'm wondering if this would be a good prospect for transplant into my 63.

The 94-95 used a shorter water pump that might help with clearance in the engine bay. But has some drawbacks, like fewer junkyard parts available.

I would use aftermarket aluminum heads and intake designed for a carburetor.

Does anyone here have some input for me on this particular engine? Does anyone make a front sump pan and pickup for this engine?

Thanks

Don't know much to help you but I would think there are plenty of aftermarket parts options for that 5.0 that you could utilize.
    Scott Zimmerman

'65 Falcon Futura 2 door hardtop, 289 V8

I think doghows put a 94/95 in his panel. Maybe he has some insight.

Though you can swap the pan and pump to front sump (just use stock or aftermarket parts) the dipstick isn't in the timing cover and with the reverse rotation water pump timing cover combo you'll want to make sure to deal with that.

Reverse rotation water pump uses serpentine belt where the water pump pulley is driven from the back of the belt and is smooth. The factory parts are pretty clunky for all the accessories so you might want to consider something aftermarket there too, like from March.

Changing to a carb manifold is pretty straightforward.

Roller cams use different distributor gears than early flat tappet cams, so if you retain a stock distributor change the gear accordingly.

That's about all I can think of this early.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Bill unless the motor you are looking at is a smoking deal you'd be better off buying a crate motor if you're going carb.
    The Only advantage would be the roller parts. Then you have a used engine that may not be better than what you have now.
    If you buy the motor you can swap any oil pan to a front sump pan but swap the oil pump too. Most timing chain covers have the area cast into them for the oil dip stick, you'll need to swap that because the new motor has it in the block where your old one is in the pan.
    You'll need to run serpentine unless you buy the correct water pump to spin the normal way.
    Distributor will need to be addressed as well. The one with the new engine uses a TFI module for the computer to control your timing.
    Pm me if you have questions, my opinion would be run the EFI it would be cheaper and better in the long run than a carb!
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Thanks for the input. It is a good deal at $300. But if you have ever put a quality engine together you know that is just the start.

I'm not in any hurry. I just have an itch to build another motor, and would like to do a roller cam small block.

I'd say that's a good deal!! If the inside is good you can slap anything you want on top. If your looking for power that's a good base to start with!
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear