Thread: Update pics

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Do you remember the brand of the studs? Were they ARP or did they come with your roller kit? If they were no names I may consider replacing all.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

I'll second Jeff's comment. Seem very odd to pull the top off of a good-brand stud. I'd get a set of ARP studs, especially if you're still going to race it.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Update pics

The studs came pre-installed on the AFR 185 heads. I don't think it was a stud problem as much as it was operator error. The nut on that stud had backed off almost 1/4". I think the rocker just got caught rocking back and forth and snapped the stud. It made a loud pop for sure.
    These heads are known as some of the best for racing so not too worried about the studs. Just worry about me getting them tight when they are adjusted. These lifters have always made quite a bit of noise and I have checked them twice before. Just left one a little loose I think. More to come I am sure. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

I went to AFR's website and found an interesting footnote about their AFR 185's. So, I am going to replace all the studs and will have to replace all the roller rockers to 7/16 also. Poopers. Larry
    Footnotes

1. AFR Small Block Ford
      • We strongly recommend using 7/16" rocker studs with today's fast cam rates and RPM capabilities as 3/8" Rocker Studs can occasionally break.

Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Now they tell you...

You would think they'd just use the 7/16 studs and be done with it. So all new studs and new rockers both.

You mentioned they were noisy all along, which has been stressing me out with my Ranchero motor. I readjusted the valves because I thought they were not set right after my rocker/guide plate/push-rod issue a while back. They we set right, but it seems noisy roller rockers is a thing. Chased it down of YouTube and Google and so many have this issue. Nobody says, or seems to know, what is clacking exactly. But now I'm obsessed with leaning why!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"