Thread: v8 swap in the ranchero questions

v8 swap in the ranchero questions

in your honest opinion is the v8 swap a worthwhile endeavor, or would the t5 tranny be more worth the dime? can it be done low buck, but safe?thanks guys
    63 ford ranchero. rebuilt 68 200 rebuilt c4 electronic ignition intermittent wipers

You already have the set-up that many of us are working toward. Unless you have your heart set on a V-8, I would let 'er ride.

If you feel the need to tinker and spend money - you can look at disk brake conversion, 2 barrel carb... tons of other stuff.

thanks i really like this set up, just kind of curious. i like the two barrel and disc brakes though. what more can you tell me? thank you
    63 ford ranchero. rebuilt 68 200 rebuilt c4 electronic ignition intermittent wipers

I haven't done either myself.. .I'm still working toward what you already have... I have the 200/C4 under my bench right now.

I probab;ly will not go for the disk - but the 2 barrel is top of my list. Kenny (redfalken) has had great luck with his.

Search around on this site and you can find info on both topics... and more.

well what you said really got me thinking, and i need some input, i was thinking port divider,cam and used carb, or headers port and carb. im trying to stay around 600 700 bucks

a T-5 behind a six is fun. But I don't think you'll get it done for what your budget allows.

I bought all used parts and it still cost me about $1300.

the carb, cam, and header will probably max out your budget, but it will be a worthy investment. To save you money on the cam look into delta cams. I believe they are in tacoma, they might have or can make a cam for your needs and it might be cheaper than buying from clifford or ford six

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

This is the question I'm kicking around with my '62 Futura. It's working as a daily driver with its original ( tired ) six and 3 on the tree, but the young cars push her around on the freeway. I'm thinking a 302 / C4 keeping the original looks would be a hoot.
    If it's running, take it apart and see why.

The V8/C4 combo is an easy swap. All the parts are easily obtainable. One issue with the early 62 is the tunnel size. I had to beat mine in with a hammer to get the bell housing to clear. I plan to pull it one day to cut out the metal and modify for better clearance.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Patrick, what did you do with the front end to get room? I'm thinking a Mustang II. If I've got to booger up the floor pan anyway, maybe she needs a floor shift...
    Last edited by EdsFunny; December 2nd, 2010 at 02:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EdsFunny View Post
    Patrick, what did you do with the front end to get room?
    Nothing. A Ford small block (260/289/302/5.0)fits right in there. No mods. I have a SB 331 stroker with Hedman shorty headers.

If you want a 351W or bigger. you will will want to do something to get room for headers. I see that the 429 Boss is available new again. That would be sweet.
    Patrick Brown

here is a late model 5.0 in my 63, they fit very nicely and the plugs are easy to change.. go for it!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Man, I think I'd be burning the back wheels off with one of those in the old girl. Speaking of that, did you keep the original rear wheels, or did you have to tub the rear? I'd like to at least keep the original three-color hubcaps, if I can.

I have 205-60-15 at the rear on 15x6 wheels on a rear end that is 1" shorter than stock. I haven't tubbed but have cut and rewelded the outer edge of the wheel well. I plan to install something wider but need to focus on the EFI for now.
    Patrick Brown

205s would look pretty good, without too mmuch trouble. My sheet metal welding skills stink, so I'm trying to keep that to a minimum. You say you went 1" shorter, eh? That's an idea. I just found an April, 1962 Hot Rodder magazine article with a " Convert your Falcon to a V8" article. Cute, but I think parts off a '53 Chevy might be harder to find.
    Last edited by EdsFunny; December 4th, 2010 at 02:08 AM.