Page 15 of 60 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Reconstruction has begun.

Oh Boy - now you get to try and find the plastic threaded inserts too for the headlight adjusters.

You have a 62 or 63 grille?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I have the 63 grill and I saved the plastic nutserts. I just need to get them in without breaking them.

Reconstruction has begun.

I've searched and cannot find the thread concerning these inserts that I chimed in on. I tried and tried to use the factory inserts that I saved and they are a bad design. I used square license plate inserts that snapped right in the square holes and they work really well. I think I might have an extra somewhere if you want a pic. I bought them at Ace Hardware. Badbird
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

I will keep that in mind. My old ones came out clean so I think they are reusable. But if not I know where I can get the license plate things. Thanks for the tip...

I tried to use the license plate things I could find in the local parts-houses and they were the wrong size. The holes were like 7/16" square and the inserts I found were all 3/8". I eventually filed a set from something I found, which was a pain. Would be nice to know what parts these were you found Larry, just so we can list it somewhere.

I tried to reuse the old one, but the little metal ring on them came off them and I could never get it to stay on again.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Ohh crap now I am worried. I got the ring off but haven't tried to put it back on yet?? Guess I will find out tonight.
    Sooo file some bigger ones down Huh... Yeah more custom work!!!
    Last edited by doghows; June 6th, 2012 at 12:34 PM.

I would take a picture of the extra part I have but my camera download cable is in my motorhome. Which, brings up a story.

We were on our way back home from Tucson, close to a town called Mina Nevada when we were hit with a side wind estimated to be well over 80 MPH. Another motorhome right in front of me was knocked off the road and almost lost total control. I saw what happened and was able to slow down quite a bit, but the wind tore the roof loose from the coach. The one piece fiberglas roof came loose on the left side the full 35 feet of the motorhome. I stopped in the next town and spent the night duct taping it down which allowed us to make it back home. It is getting repaired now, so everything will be okay I hope.

Anyway, The nylon part that I have is .60 square and the insert part is .40 square. It snapped right in, the threads are the same size and it holds fantastic. It is now so easy to adjust the lights. I bought them as I mentioned before at ACE Hardware. I will be out running around today and I will go by and see if they have more. If so, I will buy them out and distribute to the members if they want some. Badbird
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Thanks Larry I will keep an eye out at my local Ace here as well. If you find them let me know a part # and I'll buy a bunch as well. This is one of those hard to find items everyone will need.

I stopped by Ace Hardware and bought 16 of the inserts if anyone needs some. I will either mail them to you or ?? If you need some before I can bring them to a meeting or something you can find them at your ACE. In the hardware area they have numerous boxes, this one is marked "LICENSE PLATE SCREWS AND NUTS" The box number is 59690 and the nuts are (#14) GM Nuts. Let me know if you need/want some. I can drop some by for you Gene if you want. Badbird
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Good work Larry, I stopped at my local parts house this morning and found another part that pops right in. It is from " License-Tite" and the part number on the box is 45954 comes in a 4 pack. I hope the rest of the issues are this easy to solve. Thanks for the help and direction Larry.
    The picture shows the old one on the left and the replacement on the right. I tried for a picture of the box but it is so-so..
    Attached Images Attached Images

I will have to now stop at Ace. Never looked there and they do have a pretty good hardware selection. Thanks! Mine are holding for now, but they are flaky.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"