Page 6 of 60 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast

Thread: Reconstruction has begun.

The car is coming together nicely. I put the new side panels on and after some trimming and fitting they fit great. Should have the car in primer in the next week or so. Then I get to start the final body work. (Putty is your buddy) I will finally put all the pieces back on the car and see what it looks like with the doors, fenders, and hood on again. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nce!!!!

Looking good Steve ........ starting to drool some, luv those sedan deliveries!!!!
    Bill Proctor .. 1963 Falcon Sprint. Looking forward to learning new things.

Go into the light... go into the light. But wear your sunglasses.

And here you had us all convinced you were an amateur. Excellent work. Can't wait to see it.

I wonder if I could make some big magnetic sheet sedan delivery panels so I could have a faux sedan delivery?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Slick Sand is your friend if you have a gun to spray it. It will save you a lot of time with the body work. It's wonderful for getting long flat panels truly straight.

http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=28

The progress looks great.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Cool, thanks for the tip. I am going to put the car in powder coat primer next. We (my painter friend and I) have done some testing with this epoxy primer and it looks to be a good solution to etching primer and so forth. I need to start with the bondo portion next. Any suggestions on that stuff? After I get it real straight and smooth I will shoot that slick sand for the blocking, and then hopefully off to paint. I have my fingers crossed for around Christmas time.
    Then comes the fun part of spending too much money and putting her back together. Thanks for the comments and tips helps with the motivation and final outcome of the car.

I really like the Rage Gold product. I tried the cheaper stuff and won't go back. The rage gold goes on smooth with no air bubbles and is easy to sand.

http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=10

Do yourself a favor and buy good sandpaper too. Get the 3M professional stuff. It's the stuff behind the counter at Wesco so you have to ask for it. It's gold in color so you will know it from the cheap stuff. It's cuts better and lasts longer than the cheap stuff.

After filler, go to Slick Sand and sand that with 220-320. Then put down a couple coats of PPG K38 and wet sand to 400. Then another coat or two of K38 and wet sand to 600. You can seal the whole thing after that with PPG DPLF reduced as a sealer and then paint.

For sanding blocks, get this kit:
    http://www.eastwood.com/7-piece-sanding-block-kit.html

You need a very long stiff block too. The red one from this photo is what I have. Mine is 3' long and is great for getting long panels perfectly straight.

http://www.eastwood.com/adjustable-f...-3-pc-kit.html
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Awesome, Looks like I am on the right track. I was looking at the RAGE gold this morning, and I already have the durablock set. I think I can borrow the log block from my painter buddy. I really appreciate the tips on the products, I know many people have tried so I like learning from their mistakes. God knows I make enough of my own.
    Thanks again Steve H.

Here are the latest and greatest. Got the car into powder coat primer today. Sure looks good all one color again. (dent's and all) So I've been told to scuff the surface with 80 grit and proceed with body work from here. This is all experimental but I have been told it will be fine. I will keep you all posted and we will see how it goes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You must be feeling very good at the moment.

It's been a while since I went that far into something and I recall feeling pretty bleak after about 15 months... and seeing months to go. I even painted "HELP ME" at some point on the newspaper I had taped to the windshield. Not a good feeling. Just keep plugging along though and don't let it stall.

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"