Page 7 of 60 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: Reconstruction has begun.

Looking almost like time to skin the whole thing in a layer of something and do the long-board dance over it. All those layers of bondo will show no matter what if you just prime it.

The roof.. it is amazing to see knowing what it once looked like. You should post a before and after of that so we can flip back and forth -- Ouch! Ahhh... Ouch! Ahhh...
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Couldn't find a real good one of the roof before. But this will give an idea of how much damage (work) was done to it before the start to make it pretty part came..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Two medium coats of PPG DPLF epoxy primer will do a good job of covering all the filler. Don't worry about that. You should consider the spray-on polyester filler (Slick Sand) if you have a gun that can handle it. It looks good so far. Keep it up. It's worth it when you see the results.

http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=28
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Reconstruction has begun

Looking good. Not trying to sound like a professional because I sure don't qualify. But make sure you use lots of guide coat and keep going till it's perfect. Just looking at the pictures makes my elbows hurt. Can't wait to see it. Larry

Thanks guys. Slick sand is already on the shelf, and I have a 30" long board just waiting its turn. It looks like a lot of filler in the pics, but I don't think I have any spot thicker than a dime. It seems like I put a bunch on and most of it ends up on the floor. I also bought a tin of guide coat that goes on kind of like when you wax a car. Has a little pad with it and you rub it on the car. Seems to work well.
    I think I am going to test fit the engine and trans one last time before I get going with the primer coats. Just want to make sure all is good.
    Thanks again for the tips and tricks, I am hoping to get it in paint this spring/summer.

So I did the final fit and finish for the engine and AOD. Looks like a little trimming is in order for the shock tower braces?? Maybe an aftermarket kit?? So it all fits well underneath and cross member came out good. Now to pull it all back out and sand some more...
    Did I mention about how I love body work??

I still think the best designed and thought-out tower support I have seen (and one I plan to duplicate exactly on the Ranchero - 'cause I HATE those shock-tower braces - is the one from Powell's car at the Regional Kenny and I attended in Oregon. Very nicely engineered and accommodates exactly what you are doing too. And doesn't require much bodywork, though I know you love doing that.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

You'll be wanting to swap out that rear sump oil pan if you plan on steering the car in the future. That pan is right in the way of the centerlink.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

steve your motor looks really low, this is mine when I had the FI on it with stock falcon V8 motor mounts, I only had to make one crappy cut on the brace...jh

Quote Originally Posted by pbrown View Post
    ...if you plan on steering the car in the future.
    Details, details...
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"