Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Club Hauler

Carb Rebuild from 7734 upside-down

and backwards...

Here is a few pics of the inside of what was supposed to be a "newly rebuilt carb" the company I work for had just paid $250 for (in fact, I had to finish installing it to get the truck home -- so it was supposedly "that fresh.") Couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Note pic "carb7.jpg" as it shows a gasket on the housing -- and on the power valve.

You just never know what you're going to get these days at the ol' auto mechanics shop...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; April 13th, 2010 at 10:22 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Now some torque thrusters, a subwoofer, stacks coming up behind the cab... Nice work, it looks like a beast
    Bill Proctor .. 1963 Falcon Sprint. Looking forward to learning new things.

Roger the new power valve gaskets split into two after being run for a few hours.

I've rebuilt my carb on the sprint trice times now and every time I take it apart the power valve gasket looks like what you have..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Roger the new power valve gaskets split into two after being run for a few hours.
    Then the new gasket they installed grew in thickness too (while under compression), since the new gasket in my kit was the thickness of either of these two I found on the carb.

FWIW, The truck ran with this carb for only 45 minutes (the time it took to drive from my work to my house) and then I had to take it off again. Somebody else here (at work) had installed it after getting it back from the repair shop and I only hooked up the fuel line when I took possession of the truck.

The shop obviously did a piss-poor job. No attention to removing other old gasket material from all the raised sealing flanges.

Anyway, as the old saying goes -- if you want something done right, you got to do it yourself.

Sadly this saying doesn't work for a shop since it doesn't say you can make a profit doing it right. Shops clearly have only so much time they can spend on things, so the cut what corners they can, I guess.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; April 1st, 2010 at 09:18 AM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Definately doesn't look like they took the time to do it right at all. Sucks to spend a nice chunk of change on a repair that isn't effective due to sloppy, crappy workmanship. Some shops get it and some don't.

I still remember the shop I took my original Falcon to in San Diego to have them rebuild my front end. This was a chain store {Winston Tire} but the manager was 1st rate. The day I picked my car up, this lady was in saying that what she brought her car in for wasn't fixed. The manager jacked up her car and creepered under it for a few minutes and then came back up. He asked the lady if the service mechanic showed her the parts he replaced. She said "No". He looked at her copy of the work order as well as the shops copy and then called the mechanic over. Asked him point blank if he had replaced the parts on the car that the repair called for. The mechanic said that he sure did. The manager said "No you didn't. You're fired. I don't employ liars OR lousy mechanics". The manager apologized to the lady, had her car pulled into a bay {to begin the real repairs} and told her the repairs were on him. Even had 4 new tires put on for free.
    I went for an extended test drive and stopped back by a couple hours later to let them know I was happy with the work and the ladies car was just getting done. I asked her what she thought of what happened and she stated in no uncertain terms that as long as that guy was the manager there she'll never take her cars anywhere else for service or repair. Ever.

Sadly, there are fewer and fewer examples of good customer service like this every day.
    Last edited by 68FalconSC; April 1st, 2010 at 03:43 AM. Reason: sp
    Jonathon Hass
    Stanwood, WA.
    '68 Falcon Sports Coupe

Brought to you by the letter "Q"

I assume that "Q" would stand for quality, as opposed to quick, which seems to be more common these days than quality is.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"