Thread: Brake booster

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Brake booster

I replaced my drum brakes with a set of rotors and discs from a 76 Maverick. The master cylinder and booster were included with the rotors. My questions are; do I need to use the booster? I'm asking because it looks like it will not fit without modifying the export brace (something I am not willing to do), can the master cylinder from the Maverick be used? It is a dual bowl, and finally, if the booster is necessary, what other options are available?
    As always, any and all help is appreciated.

Troy
    The pain is only temporary

I'm not an expert but I suspect you would not need to use that booster - a wheel caliper is a wheel caliper and the booster would not increase the volume of fluid your M/C pushes out. You may be able to use the old crusty M/C you have (removed from the booster) but would worry that the bolt hole location and actuation rod may differ (plus it's old and crusty). I would buy a NEW M/C for a '67 Mustang and be sure it is Disk/Drum. Use your old actuation rod from the Falcon single bowl... if that is gone you can buy adjustable guys... the one provided with the Mustang M/C is too long and would require a ridiculously huge shim between the firewall and new M/C to allow the brakes to fully release.

This is assuming you still have drums on the back...

You are correct on that Jeff. You do NOT need the booster. All the booster does is take a rod from your pedal, and for lack of a better description, uses a bladder type balloon with the vacume from your engine to increase the force put on the rod that goes from it to the master cylinder. Kind of a rough description but hopefully you get the idea. I like jeff's idea of the new M/C, who knows what shape the old one is in. After all these are your brakes.

It's also likely that the booster you have plus master won't fit anyway. There is a company that makes a very small booster for the Falcon but you really don't need it. Buy a new, not rebuilt, master and be safe.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

I agree with Patrick.. Buy new and not reman..
    Look for any ford product that is disc/drum set up and manual brakes.
    I used a 75 maverick master on one set up..

the falcons are so light that with disc brakes you don't need a booster..

if you plan on doing four wheel disc brakes a master cylinder from a 60's corvette works with a little modifing..

Nathan
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*

Thanks for the info everybody. I did find the company that makes the small booster that Patrick was talking about. They are ABS Power Brake Inc. They make a 6" booster and also a m/c for the Falcon, however it runs about $350 for the setup. I don't think that the gain would be worth the expenditure. Didn't someone already source a dual bowl m/c from Rock Auto? Does anybody have the particulars on that yet?
    See everybody at the meeting Wed.

Troy
    The pain is only temporary

none taken. everynow and then even i get stumped and will get the deer in the headlight syndrome. I cant know everything about everything.
    Nathan and Jen Cooper
    63 Sprint Hardtop "Dollora"
    63 Super deluxe squire wagon "Mayble"
    * this spot is vacant for future project*