Thread: Freddie's Tech-Day (May 22nd and 23rd)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Looks awesome! I'll be over Saturday to lend a hand for sure. Let me know what time.

I really wish I would have been in town for the install but had a great time at my parent's 50th wedding anniversary party. They gave me their 1990 Accord LX and I drove it home. 2,200 miles was a long drive home but it's always good to hit the open road...even if it's in a Honda!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Welcome back Kenny.

The car needs some tuning before it hits the open road. I was having trouble getting it to idle below 1500 RPM. I was using a vacuum gauge on the carb to try to adjust the carb idle jets. The best I could do was 15lbs vacuum. I think it should be better with such a mind cam. I also could not get the timing set below about 25btdc.

Here are some todos for anyone that is up to it.

1. Pull the spark plugs and verify TDC. It's possible that the mark on the damper and the indecator are not right.
    2. Pull the valve cover and check the valve adjustment.
    3. Check the firing order.
    4. Get the choke connected to a switched 12v point.
    5. If possible check the carb float adjustment. These things can be knocked out of place in shipping.
    6. Install the exhaust system and weld in an O2 bung. I have an extra that can be used and have a welder.
    7. Set the timing (10 degrees btdc is probably a good start)
    I'm not sure the car is actually road ready in its present state. It could probably limp home. I'd hate to see any damage caused to the engine by having the timing too advanced.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Couldn't get it below 25 degrees because??? The vacuum advance hit the block? Will they need to pull and rotate it a tooth or two?

I would'a thunk Carter would have done basic setup stuff like this. Gary, do you recall this, whether Carter put a light on it when it was running? Patrick, this may be a really stupid question (but been there, so gotta ask), you're timing light isn't adjustable, is it? You're sure it was at zero?

Sad that I'm all tied up this Memorial Day weekend doing an extreme makeover bath and kitchen remodel edition, or I'd come out and help out again. But Kenny being back, and close, he may get it going.

Oh... and... Whoot, whoot --- ding-ding-ding YOU ARE OUR ONE THOUSAND'th POSTER!

And your grand prize is....
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"