Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Freddie's Tech-Day (May 22nd and 23rd)

1) Why the O2 bung?

2) It the Harmonic Balancer new or re-used from the old engine?

Patrick has all that there fancy 'puter stuff to go sniffin' the butts, uh I mean the exhaust, and adjust for maximum hot-rodishness.

The damper was used, single groove version. Bringing a couple over to compare them key groove to timing mark could help determine if the outer ring has spun.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

First, I wouldn't call the cam "mild". It's a 274-degree duration cam which is only one step down from CI's full-race hydraulic cams (280):

http://www.classicinlines.com/prodde...CSC-274-HSP-12

I haven't any idea what the vacuum should be, but the CI cam selection tech article states it will be "lower than stock".

The zero on the damper and TDC should be dead-on. Carter was prepared to do an offset key to make sure it was perfect, but when he checked it, he was surprised it was perfect with a straight key.

The damper itself is brand-spanking new. Carter had been insisting I get a high-performance damper, but they are extra-thick, and I didn't have enough room for one. We compromised and I just bought a brand new single-groove stock one. (Of course, that doesn't mean it still couldn't have spun....)

Hmm...
    Last edited by MacDee; May 27th, 2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Another thought
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Saturday Start Time

I'm planning on being there about 9:00.

See y'all there!
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Saturday, and Monday...

Thanks hugely to Kenny and Jeff who came and helped install the exhaust system on Saturday!

Alas, once the system was installed, the car would not start. After fooling around with the timing for a while, to no avail, we decided to knock off for the day. Kenny and I came back yesterday (Memorial day) and took another crack at it. After numerous calls to Pat, Jeff and Carter, we opted to replace the coil. At Carter's suggestion, we did an informal spark test on the coil. It seemed really weak. We did the same test on the replacement coil, but it didn't seem any stronger. We finished putting it together with the new coil anyway, and, lo and behold, it started!! I dunno.

I was able to get the timing down to about 14 btdc and idle speed down to about 1100. A short test drive revealed a couple of other issues which we were able to resolve, and I decided to make a run for it. Kenny agreed to follow me home and then take me back to drive my "regular" car home.

The trip home was, um, anxious. Had a hard time keeping it running at stop lights and managed to stall and re-start three times on the way home. The temp gauge was reading 210 or more as we stopped-and-go'd out of Ballard, but came down to about 195 once we got to a nice long stretch without stop lights.

Now that she's home, I'll have time to think about it some more and try to recover some enthusiasm. (Pretty tired of it all right now...) With the daughter's wedding coming up, I won't have much time anyway. When I finally do have some time, and enthusiasm, I'll go start looking for vacuum leaks. I suspect this is the source of the issues relating to timing and idle speed.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to all who helped bring this project along! Without the help I received from the guys in the Rainier Falcon club, this never would have become a reality. Pat, Roger, Kenny, Jeff, you guys are AWESOME!!
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

Gary,

Sorry to hear you had no luck getting the Falcon to fly. I would have preferred to have helped you rather than doing, or should I say "attempt to do" a bath -and- kitchen remodel in 3 days, which has now gone into day 5 with at least 3 or 4 more days to go... if I'm lucky.

When we get past this weekend (hoping I make it this weekend), I may be able to find an hour or two to give it a look-see. The remodel I'm doing is in Duvall, and as I recall you're up in that neck of the woods.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"