Thread: Seals for wagons and sedan delivery

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Seals for wagons and sedan delivery

I have been looking around for the seals and gaskets to re-do the tailgate on the sedan delivery. I have found the seals that go around the gate but I need to find the ones that go on the inside of the tailgate. I have the lower glass seal and the fuzzies for the opening where the glass comes up through, but I can't seem to find the fuzzies for the two slides on the inside of the tailgate. Any one have a line on these or do I order something else and modify it to fit???
    I am rounding up the seals I need to fit all the panels properly to do the body work and I would just as soon put the tail gate together now since it is already powder coated and ready for putty...
    Thanks for any help Steve H.

Anyone found these. I really need help.
    Come on Roger I know your car is nice and it has a tailgate with the window. Thanks Steve...

Hi Steve,

Roger mentioned at the meeting last week that he's been tearing his hair out at work getting ready for a big show in Las Vegas. He may be knee deep in work right now!

Just thought I'd let you know.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Cool Thanks for the Heads up. I will stand by patiently. Unless anyone else has a clue about these parts.?.

I am thinking (I'll know more after you do it) it is the same as the other window channel. I had my gate open last weekend and there was a small bit of the old stuff left and it had the small chrome bead on one side. I would go for this and see if you can cut to length... I think about 16" per side if we are talking about the same thing. I had to replace both of my plastic rollers to get the thing to roll up/down.

Let me know what you find out.

From Falconparts.com - I know it's not the seal you are looking for, but I suspect (and hope) it's the same material.

1960-1965 TAILGATE WINDOW GLASS CHANNEL
    Category: GLASS CHANNEL
    Product ID: C0DB-59422A36-B
    Description: This is the tailgate window glass channel/weatherstrip seal which is mounted on the body. This seal is made of the same material as the door window top and rear glass channel seals and requires the same type of trim to fit installation procedures. It is 96 inches long which is enough material to do both vertical channels as well as the horizontal channel.

That is kind is what I was thinking as well. I have those moldings on the way and I was going to try it. If it works I will order more of it. I will keep you posted. Thanks for the confirmation of what I was thinking.

I must be missing something... My tailgate was missing all the window weatherstrip and beltline when I got it. I bought the items I thought I needed and laid it all out tonight. I can't figure out how it all goes together.

I have a new piece of special wagon "window tape" that secures the glass to the lower channel. It has a long lip in the outside that somehow mates with the outer rubber seal that mounts to the outer skin. Everything looks backward to me. I don't know if I'm missing a part . My manual Swiss some pictures but not the detail I need.

Any pictures or advice is appreciated. I think the 60 - 63 are all the same.

I think I have it all figured out. I expected a nice water tight seal... apparently it's a bit of a Mickey Mouse set-up.

Remember how you do it. I might need help when I put mine back together???

I'll take pictures of everything. One of my problems was mounting the tail gate seal upside down. Apparently it is SUPPOSED to fill up with 1/2 gallon of water like a water trough. Those wacky engineers.

Jeff, I know exactly how all this goes together and I'm not sure why you say it's supposed to fill up with water? Although I know it's not wholly watertight either, the tailgate glass bedding seal has a "wing" that is supposed to go up under the edge of the upper part of the outer skin when you roll up the window. This then acts like a "trough" for water to skirt towards the ends of the glass track and not pour all over the crank gears and rollers - and then drain out the bottom.

I learned about this when I first built my tailgate and replaced all the tracks and seals (as many as I could find 10 years ago, anyway). They sold me the same bedding gasket with the wing, but for whatever reason didn't tell me this doesn't work on the square-body wagons. Didn't know until I was all done and then had to take it all apart again. The shape of the outer skin doesn't allow this wing, but a 60-63 being rounded, it clears everything going up.

Anyway, maybe I misunderstood, but it's really not that bad a seal idea -- wish it was as good for the 64/65 models.

Also, when you put the tailgate glass together, don't put the inner skin on until you've closed the gate (it won't latch yet) and adjusted the up/down left/right alignment of the glass track standoffs. Means climbing into the back with the gate closed (resting on the rubber bumpers) and using an Allen key and a wrench to tweak each of them until the glass goes up and down smoothly. Loads of fun - that one.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"