Thread: Mechanic recommendations?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I live in madrona/madison park/capital hill? Ha, I love having to answer that question as we kind of live in a neighborhood border limbo.

I took the car into Gorman Auto in Magnolia. My experience there so far has been great. Good honest guys that you feel comfortable talking to.

I'll keep this thread posted on the rest of the experience with them on the mechanical work end of the deal.

been thinking of replacing the carb while it's in there. Any suggestions?

it's a rebuilt straight 6 170. I need to look into it some more but those are Holly 1 barrels on there I think?

anyways....
    1961 FALCON 2DR 6CYL 170 -- "MILES"--

The Autolite 1100 is used a lot as well. They have different teflon (?) inserts in the venturi for the 144/170/200 and also, if you have a Load-O-Matic distributer (no mechanical advance) it must have a spark control valve to work properly. And it has to have a dashpot if you have an automatic.

Or if you have an extra $430 burning a hold in your pocket you can get an Autolite 1100 Vaporizer from Pony Carbs and tell us what you think!

I have a 2 into 1 adapter from a place called Stovebolt with a Weber DGV 32/36 and like it a lot. It was a lot of fiddling around to get the linkage right so if that's not your thing I would avoid it.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Vaporizer 1100 eh? It IS tax return season.....
    I'm gong to look into it and run it by the mechanic and see if he thinks it's something he would do for me.

I see 1964 referenced over and over again with all descriptions of it tho. It is designed to replace most any old 6cyl engine carb tho right? So it should be an easy swap? Sounds like the pay off would be huge in getting old "miles" purrrring.
    1961 FALCON 2DR 6CYL 170 -- "MILES"--

I never noticed the application years! I would call before plunking down the money. I'm guessing it has something to do with the distributor it's designed to work with. In `64 they started using a distributor with a larger, 5/16" oil pump drive shaft. Not sure if that's when they switched to a dizzy with a mechanical advance or not??

You might do a little searching on the Ford Six Forum http://fordsix.com/forum/ and see if you can find a thread about a Vaporizer on a pre-`64 engine. Warning: A lot of people find Pony Carbs to be a little like the "Autolite Nazi". If you don't do exactly like he says you're doing it wrong. So YMMV but they've been around a long time so they must be doing something right.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)