Page 14 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Call me crazy - Ranchero's (again)

I am not an expert, but I think the area that you are having trouble "letting go" is not supposed to be glued. I think the glue line should stop where the rubber seal does. I read this somewhere when researching in preparation to install mine.

I can't think of an easy way to repair this. Look on the bright side, how many people look up at the ceiling?

Really? I didn't pay that close attention when I pulled it (DOH), but it would be hard to have glued it to the area where the seal edge is. I would have thunk this surface area would have held better. I may have to go look at Gene's someday.

There is plenty of area to screw something up there to hold it taut, so I guess that's what I'll be doing. A saggy headliner is not a good headliner. Just got to find that right something.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    Just got to find that right something.

Gun rack?

If you look at Gene's he probably has a fishin' pole rack.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Jeff. Needed a good laugh. But if you look above the rack - there is a piece of trim in the corner.

It's curved at the roof, but flat on the glass panel, I have room in both directions to screw something of almost an inch. So, maybe a piece of flat metal painted red.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Maybe Larry (Badbird) can help make a nice fiberglass strip with some lights and speakers. His trunk work is Top Drawer

After taking a trip over to Steve's to do some parts-stripping off the 65 Futura Sedan with the telephone-pole redesign, I looked at the headliner in his Ratchero, which still looks to have the factory headliner - and sure enough they must have pulled it in a straight-line from the last bow right to the window flange. Maybe a little loose. Then when the glass went in, the rubber seal would have pulled it more taut. Anyway - not about to pull that glass out to change it - so it's going to get some trim piece installed up there. Just got to decide exactly what now... as long as it doesn't involve rifles or fishing poles.

Otherwise, got an alternator bracket, all the wiring (what was left of it - some got mangled by the aforementioned telephone-pole), and a few hard-to-find 3/8" cage nuts I need to bolt the steering column brace back on. And the carb for Jeff to play with.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; January 10th, 2012 at 03:50 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    - so it's going to get some trim piece installed up there. Just got to decide exactly what now... as long as it doesn't involve rifles or fishing poles.
    I have an idea. How about a 1/4" stainless solid round bar? Flatten the ends with a file maybe and drill a hole in each end to secure it. Bend it to the shape of the roof. Polish it up and it would look good.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant...id=7&top_cat=1

You can get a five foot length for about $5. This store is here is Seattle so you can just drop in and pick it up.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

That is an excellent idea Patrick. Polished stainless would be a nice finish and would actually follow the curve if I make it just the right length. Thanks!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Come on now... You're heading into show car territory again... Keep thinking driver, driver....

Just kidding I like the way it is looking so far. Can't wait to see it running.

Quote Originally Posted by doghows View Post
    Come on now... You're heading into show car territory again... Keep thinking driver, driver....
    No, I'm just thinking of no headliner dangling in front of my eyes territory. I can use a wooden dowel too, it wouldn't rust either (a good reason to use stainless or aluminum).

The world is fighting against me to get out there and do much work. I had hoped at least 3 full days of my 4-day weekend, but I had maybe only one. But I did make it out to the Pick and Pull on Sunday morning when I was notified of a couple Ranchero's being out there - and then proceeded to Sequim to Steve's place to pick and pull from the pole-dancing Futura sedan he got. So, that's good. I will be bolting stuff on now. That's for sure.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"