Page 15 of 52 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Call me crazy - Ranchero's (again)

Have made pretty good progress the past couple of days - though Saturday was cut short. Gene came out yesterday for a couple hours and we got the upper and lower control arms on. I spent today and finished up the brake lines, the fuel line to the back, and mounted the rest of the steering components... and a few other bits. It's nice to see the parts bins emptying out...

Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Looking good!

Looking good Roger! Nice duel master cylinder. Looks like its coming along great!
    Bill Proctor .. 1963 Falcon Sprint. Looking forward to learning new things.

Call me crazy - Ranchero's (again

Looking fantasticamonious. I can't believe how much you get done in such a short period of time. Larry

I can't believe how much you get done in such a short period of time.
    No honey - no do. Simple as that. Sad, but true.

But last night I did finally decide I better clean those gutters or I would have trees growing out of there instead of just weeds...
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

I say slap up a sign that says "Back to Nature" and let them grow!!!!!

Gene lent a hand getting my front and rear springs in tonight. Had to cut one coil out of the front springs, but they are V8 springs and I will have a I6 in it for some time. I hope when the V8 eventually goes in, it'll be just about the right ride height. I tried everything I could to get them in before deciding the cut the coil.

Next comes the rear-end assembly and installation... got to get the red wheels with some rubber on them very, very, soon.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Must be getting excited to see it back on the wheels. No more teeter tauter!?! I found me a set of 14" steel wheels I think I will coat red to go with my ratchero look. Now I need to find a cool set of hub caps for them. I think that will work well.
    So it looks like this weekend won't be happening for the "flairchero". I will look at all the car shows over here and see what else is coming up in a few weeks. You could always drive over here on September 17th for the sprint boat races. It will be the first race at the new track in Port Angeles.
    Anyway keep us posted on the car and pics are always fun too.

No... "Flarechero" ain't going nowhere this weekend - or next, for that matter. I'm even losing one day this weekend for a "work thing."

Still, by the end of this weekend, I hope to get the rear-end in, the brakes on and bled, and down on all 4's. Then I can finally roll it back against the barn-door to make room so I can lift the motor onto the engine stand for a little detail work and inspection. I'll be pulling the pan and valve cover to inspect and re-gasket and look at general condition.

When done with that I can lift the engine into the engine bay. Then I'll spend a couple days making another "as good as they can get" Dagenham 4-speed to put back in. I now have 4 of these, so I will take the best parts of all of them (sort of like I have done with the various Rancheros and Falcons that have been sacrificed for this cause) and, hopefully, make one good one. I have a new gasket kit and seal for that too. Then I can slide that in and measure for the drive-line.

Should have no problems getting all that done by Monday.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Was going to leave you a PM, but saw no way to attach a pic. This is the passenger side (obviously). So.... my rear springs measure 2.528" as measured with my new caliper. The shackles appear to be the same as the ones on Flarechero.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Thanks Gene.

Your picture shows me one thing (after you left) I concluded must not be right and kept me thinking long after I should have been sleeping. See how your bracket is supported along its entire length (especially the eye) above it where it bolts to the frame? When you flip the ones I have toward the rear, like yours is mounted, the eye of the bracket it hanging over the ledge of the support. As in - they are NOT supported. So I may look and see whether if I drill new holes I can move the eye toward the front of the car more. Better supported and less apt to flatten as we saw when the springs are unweighted because the eye will be more directly above the eye in the spring. Your bracket is also clearly wider too, to match the spring. But that might not be too big an issue.

As usual, you are the man!

"New" caliper...
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"