Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 LastLast

Thread: Call me crazy - Ranchero's (again)

Don't go givin' me ideas...
    But really, this thing with a V8 is hard to steer, so doing the power steering - without all the fluid mess - should be really nice.

As of today, due to other home projects, I've only managed to get the front brakes and M/C removed for the Wilwood upgrade and pulled the coil springs and drilled for the Shelby drop. Once I drilled the holes I noticed there wasn't a solid 3 layers of metal in the holes (it's 3 layers of metal and the middle layer was missing in a couple spots where I drilled), so I made custom 3/16" x 2" x 1.25" washers, with holes strategically drilled in them, to add some support for the nuts holding the upper control arm. They are long enough to cover up the upper (original) holes on the engine side. I'll pack these 4 original holes from the tire side with seam sealer to keep water from splashing into the hole and promoting rust. I know there is some special alignment for this Shelby drop, but for now I used by phone level and took measurements before and will set it up to where it was for now. When it's all done it'll go in for an alignment once I know who can do it.

As Gene says... chip, chip, chip.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Sure seems like your chips are a LOT bigger than mine.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

All relative I suppose. I have good days and bad, or at least less productive. I guess it depends on what the TV is showing taking my attention away.

Today I managed to cut-to-size the intake manifold gaskets I received (after a nearly blind search for something that fits) and installed the manifold again. I suspect it will survive better than the last set (~100 miles). I also reinstalled the upper control arms post-Shelby drop using the special washers I made. Whether needed or not - who knows. Found a site indicating the removal of ~1/8" of shims fore/aft after doing so to get me to the alignment shop without much issue.

Then it was back under the dash to do some more work toward the electric power steering. This little bracket (shown) needs to be drilled/twisted/bent and will support the EPS unit to the brake pedal support. I'll try to get a picture of this when done. Will likely focus 100% on that from here on out to get that resolved fully. Once the unit is fully supported I can remove the mock column and work-out whether to make the upper column collapsible in some way, or solid.

Stay tuned. I can tell most of you are on the edge of your seats with anticipation.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

I know not everyone is over on Facebook - or maybe they are - but I already posted over there (in multiple places) I have finished the electric power steering install and it turned out pretty nice. I then moved onto getting the Wilwood disc brake upgrade installed. It's pretty nice for a relatively low-cost upgrade. Also did the Shelby drop and added these heavy washers on the upper control arm studs to cover the old holes. Hopefully the pictures tell the story.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; August 20th, 2020 at 11:59 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Wow, looking great...you chipping away at anything this week?
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Unfortunately, other than reworking a master cylinder push-rod for this new M/C, I've been derailed a bit with other things for a few days. My mom was sent the hospital last week and have been dealing with the potential of dealing with long-term care in the middle of a pandemic. I was hoping to avoid this considering I knew this was creeping closer by the year. And of course, it's 2020, so why not this year! It's still an uncertainty as to what will happen, but may have to move her.

I've also been painting the exterior of the garage because that was on the long-list of summertime to-do's. Another day or so on that.

I've also been facing for a couple years the inevitability of having to deal with what to do with my mom's car; a one-owner red 1980 Mercury Capri RS. She's not driven it for a couple years (I ran it last fall), but I've not been in the position to sell it there (she can't show it) and until I got my ducks in a row here (garage, etc.) - I didn't want to bring it here. I think that's the plan now - go get it, get it cleaned up and fresh gas in it, then sell it. It's a 2.3 litre 4-cyl, but it's been garaged for most of its life and looks near new. Too nice to donate.

Anyway, long answer, sorry. When everything settles down the motor can go into the Ranchero again and I can check all the clearances with all the new bits.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"