Page 51 of 52 FirstFirst ... 4149505152 LastLast

Thread: Call me crazy - Ranchero's (again)

I’m sure she would be pleased to make you happy. My mom passed At the end of September.

What color are you going with? Ghost flames?

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

ranchero paint

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    I’m sure she would be pleased to make you happy. My mom passed At the end of September.

What color are you going with? Ghost flames?
    It is being done in medium / dark grey with extra metalic. Later when I get all the chrome back on I will be looking for a good penstriper to add some red highlights. the interrior is black with red accents already.

My thread seems to have diverged in some way...
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

But... back to my car...

It's nearly put back together. Having issues getting the brakes to bleed with the new M/C so I decided, since I have to pull the M/C again anyway, to go ahead and install a couple things some folks on Facebook suggested - proportioning valve and residual valve. Plus, went with a different M/C recommended elsewhere. They are due today from Summit. Ordered on Sunday, due today. Wow.

Also changing out the fuel pump. Seems it doesn't like to start after sitting for a couple weeks unless I prime it. So, hopefully a new (mechanical) fuel pump helps. If not, I have the bits ready to add a supplementary electric fuel pump to prime - if it comes to that. I need to study this new Demon carburetor a bit too. Might be the float is sticking.

Have to cross my fingers and hope the exhaust fits the same with the new headers (same brand, different application). The passenger side should be in the same place, but the drivers side might differ. So might have to do some cutting and welding to get that hooked back up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Quote Originally Posted by BadBird View Post
    Everything is looking great. So very sorry to hear of your mother's passing. Take care my friend. Larry
    Thanks Larry. Looking forward to seeing whether you find a new car to build... and we can participate in some way.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Well... I spent a crazy amount of time making a fan shroud. I bought a 65 Mustang fan shroud thinking it would be somewhat close, but not even. So after some cutting and hacking, and taking a fan warning shroud off of some 1980 Ford I scored at some PickNPull years ago I made a clam-shell style shroud. Came out pretty nice.

Then off came the "new" master cylinder I could not get to function correctly - and after some query on a few Falcon sites decided to change to a different master cylinder and am adding a proportioning valve and a 10 lb residual valve for the rear. I'm hoping it helps. It's all work I would have preferred doing while the motor was out. Double flares over the fender and through the woods is not very fun. Should have the new lines made tomorrow to get the master cylinder in.

Everything else up-top is done; next comes the remaining wiring for the EPS and tach and get the seat back in (will make bleeding the brakes easier) and then the underside exhaust and clutch slave bleeding. Then V-ROOOM!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Getting kind of full looking in there. Wow I love the looks and hope it runs as good as it looks. Should come to Arizona and drag race when I get another car. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

WOW! That shroud looks great. Seems like it'd be worth lotsa time if it does the job, and I suspect it will.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Quote Originally Posted by BadBird View Post
    Getting kind of full looking in there. Wow I love the looks and hope it runs as good as it looks. Should come to Arizona and drag race when I get another car. Larry
    Not sure I'd be driving it to Arizona anytime soon, but maybe Kent. It ran really well - just too may interference fits I "gained" when I swapped from the 289 to the 347. And of course it's looking full; because I didn't cut out the shock towers... like some people did.

With all I've done during this Covid phase of work I have more clearance in areas I never thought I could ever have. Very odd, but not complaining since it's all gooder now. I suspect it will run as well as before, but with some gained reliability.

I did get a bit of a DOH! today when I went to bleed the brakes (before putting the interior back together; couldn't resist) and like before, when I had Gene here helping me, I couldn't get them bled. The pedal would always just sink to the floor.

So I took a seat and sulked a bit.

Then went back and looked at all the fittings and bleeders and - BAM! - it was such a dumb mistake. These new Wilwood disc calipers have bleeders on both the front and rear sides and lower and upper. 4 bleeders on each caliper and you have to do the upper bleeders on each side. I was only bleeding one half of each side. Problem solved. DOH! But glad I did the other things.

Now onto putting the interior stuff back in a wiring up the electric power steering module and wrap up tidying up under the dash.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"