Page 8 of 52 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Call me crazy - Ranchero's (again)

roger what is that primer, or what? I have used that green primer from dupli-color..not bad for a bomb can. looks like dp-40..

Quote Originally Posted by falcon cobra View Post
    roger what is that primer, or what? I have used that green primer from dupli-color..not bad for a bomb can. looks like dp-40..
    Same stuff as DP40 - AKA self-etching primer. Great on bare metal before doing other bodywork.

The Dupli-Color stuff is really good and I've used it a lot, but I picked up a can of the SEM brand at Wesco. Heluva lot more expensive and seems exactly the same. Will be tracking down more Dupli-Color.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

To flare or not to flare - that is the question?

As I've moved rearward on this - pondering now how I am going to seal that bed panel in a permanent fashion - I started looking at the rusted wheel wells. They are pretty rough. I'm going to repair them one way or the other. I then looked at the pair I cut off the other Ranchero and they are really only slightly better.

In my youth I used a cutting torch on my 62 Futura to make my then 9" rear-end from a Fairlane fit under that car (hey, I was making $2.88 an hour) - and though it was rough, it looked pretty good. So I have been debating, looking on-line at other cars, trying to decide whether to unify the flares on the car.

I'll be stealing a pair of Steve's swap meet rusted, but blasted, fenders to do this. But I don't think you mind - do you Steve? I'll give you a ride in it when I'm done. I don't want them to be an exact copy like most are. I want the rears to have a more round shape instead of flaring out in the back. Minor change.

So, what do you guys think?

Interestingly - that sedan delivery is the same paint scheme I'm going with - but with red paint.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; May 3rd, 2011 at 10:26 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

It would look more like this compared to the image above.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

No flare

Im in the no flare camp
    Bill Proctor .. 1963 Falcon Sprint. Looking forward to learning new things.

Wow really changes the look!?! I really don't care what you do with the fenders. Sell them use them what ever they are there for club use what ever it might be.
    I am undecided on the look. You are changing enough stuff on that rig so I say go for it. Might not make the purist very happy but it is your car. I say cut the whole top off and make a roadster out of it.. Oh wait we live in Washington????

I'm in the 'no flair' camp also.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

I want the car to have some flair, but not certain about the wheel flare though.

I'm certainly more in the purist camp than the mod everything camp, when it doesn't involve safety. These flares that the car came with are really a pain - both for tire and wheel selection, tire R&R, etc. So I've never been a fan of them except their style, which is unique. Any time I see these flare changes in a forum, the comments are all pretty positive though I'm not a fan of the "front looks exactly like the back" and would mod it slightly, as I said, to make it subtly different.

That said, this car is (was) supposed to be a "path of least resistance" driver... and it is turning into something that is fighting this. There is nothing there right now to work with. The metal is gone and it is flaking away. Bondo is the only thing holding it together. I have to do something to fix the rot. To recreate the stock flare which would require a stretcher/shrinker to do right is not the path of least resistance, but patching the entire side isn't going to be either - no matter how you slice it. I could slather it again with more Bondo.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; January 10th, 2012 at 02:44 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"