Page 9 of 52 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Call me crazy - Ranchero's (again)

For what it's worth, and I know I'm late, I like the flared look as much as the no-flare look. I was tempted to do the same on my car to get to use wider wheels, but decided against it as the square-bodies seem to have more horizontal "lines" to disrupt when the flares are completed.
    Last edited by SmithKid; May 4th, 2011 at 11:14 PM.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Have you considered swapping sides and using the left front fender patch on the right rear quarter and vice versa?

This may give a nice symmetry to the radius. I think I have seen pictures of a sprint or outlaw race car that used a pair of round body front fenders in the rear.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jeff W; May 4th, 2011 at 11:47 PM. Reason: pictures added

Well that is a strange Falcon sort of thing...

I spent some time after work on what I decided to do last night while I was asleep. I think it turned out OK. Still have some more grinding and welding to do and won't do all of it (the tail) until it is one with the car. Now onto the other side to duplicate this patch.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Can't wait to see them on the car!

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

If anyone has a car together, near them, with a rear axle installed, can I get you to measure from the center-line of the rear wheel to the edge of the front wheel-well lip? I think I can just lay the front edge of the front lip over where the old edge was and the tire will fit the radii fine, but just want to double check.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Sorry Roger. No axle for the moment. I could measure back from the center of the spring eye if that would help.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

I'll be home tomorrow evening.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

I think I have it figured out - cuts have been made - no turning back now. In keeping with the title of this thread... I am totally committed.

Both sides are made and the new shape actually looks pretty good. A lot better than just putting the front shape in the rear. I'll take some more pictures tomorrow and post them. Fortunately on the passenger side the rust is just around the lip - whereas on the driver side I will be replacing a lot more, but all easy patches. Can't wait to stop cutting and welding.

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

90.5" on a square-body Ranchero.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Thanks Gene - but I think we have measured the wrong thing here -- or I really messed up!

Spent a few hours out there last night and today getting the second side made and tracing the pattern on the car. The process is really pretty easy, but the execution was painful. Holding the panel in place was the hardest part. I have some of those panel jig things, but you have to be able to get to both sides and you really can't in this case. So I used them at the bottom and welded the top radii in and then removed them.

I worked though it and was in the process of welding it all in when my friend called to see if I could rescue her cat who'd locked himself in the bathroom. So I had to quit before finishing. But, as you see, it's almost done on one side. I am kind'a liking it so far. Really changes the look - that's for sure.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"