Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Part Out Party - Part Two

The powder flew and some of it was white.

Had a fun trip over to Steve's place today - first spending a couple hours cutting the quarter panels off the remaining part of the gray Ranchero -- it is now a goner. Then loaded up those and few other odd bits floating around after the last part-out party into the back of Gene's nifty new pickup - and then it was off to the powder coat shop.

First of all, let me say Steve has got a nice little shop there. A couple ovens, one big enough for a car and a sand-blast booth big enough as well. He made quick work of sand-blasting the 5 rims while Gene did a little last-minute weld clean-up on the 8" housing. I was tasked with masking off and hanging the small parts on the hang-racks while he basted the housing. Was nice to have a good sand blast booth; Steve was done blasting before I got anything hung.

Then we were onto the powder. We each got a hand at it - as you see below. The parts turned out pretty good... though in the excitement I forgot to snap any done pics. I'll take a picture of my rims tomorrow and one with my rings and hubcaps. Gene and I barely made it back as the snow began to accumulate. Another hour and we would have surely abandoned to truck on the side of the road and walked.

Thanks a lot Steve for sharing your business with [a few of] us. Pretty soon, we'll be converging on you to do something on your delivery - but does it have to be sanding???

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; February 26th, 2011 at 08:17 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Looks like fun!

Wish I could have been there, was atching my neighbors blues band, he doesnt play in the Everett area much. Let me know how the wheels turn out. looks like great idea!
    Bill Proctor .. 1963 Falcon Sprint. Looking forward to learning new things.

Went to Steve's place with Roger yesterday. It's fun watching Steve and Roger with a sawzall! Major destruction! After cutting on the on donor Ranchero for a bit, we loaded up and went to Steve's powder coating shop. INTERESTING!! I even got to hold the gun and shoot my own spare wheel. You that didn't go missed a good day. The weather even cooperated. We didn't get any more snow on us until we got home. Thanks Steve and Roger. It was great.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Hey there Mr.smithkidd, I have a 64 289 that needs a new home I think it would be good for you to rebuild for your tired one, then just swap it out, for a 100. you can't go wrong. they are getting hard to find...non falcon people 300. let me know...thanks john h

It looked like a good time. I'm sorry I missed it. Let's see some photos of the finished parts.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Here's a few more pictures -- Gene will have to post his pretty blue wheel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Looks great!

1) tell me about the custom console with cup holders?

2) why are you sans pants in the reflection of the hubcap photo?

I picked that cup holder at the early-bird swap last weekend. It had a couple Mobil gas horses on it and they must have thought it made it an antique. So I talked them down - but it is a 60's thing I think. Powder coated it the same color as the wheels. I picked up a couple antique repop stickers for it. Don't have any specific plans for it, since I have all cars with shifters in the humps.

And what reflection? Trust me, it's 40 degrees in my garage, I'm wearing many layers of clothing! Stood out there all day wire wheeling bolts of their rust and organizing them in preparation for the big Ranchero whirlwind.... coming soon to a town near you.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Glad you guys had a good time. I know it is a long trip to get over here.
    The parts turned out well, and that wheel looks bad *** with the cap and ring on it. Genes blue wheel looks great as well.
    289?? Selling it?? Tell me more? I have a 5.0 I was going to use but having second thought on the fuel injection. I may be interested in it, unless Gene has his heart set on it.
    On the powder shop stuff. I f any of you need stuff done, I will beat any other shops price for club members. I know I am not a member yet but as soon as my national gets back I'll be sending it in. As far as blasting I have a inside room that is 10X10X20, and use a pressure pot in it that holds about 300lbs of media. I actually blasted my whole car in it. Also a 48" glass bead cabinet.
    Roger you should have brought all those nuts and bolts we could have cleaned them in the small cabinet??? Oh well maybe next time. Anyway thanks for coming over next time I need to get over your way..

Steve,

Yeah the caps are nice. From a 64 Merc Meteor they say on the back of one. Never noticed that until last night. The guy told me they were from a Mercury, but I assumed a Comet. They are all really straight with only slight indentations from probably palming them back on the rim. I haven't snapped them on yet. I'll wait until the tires are on them. They will shine up nicely.

I was thinking the same thing last night as I stood there buffing for 5 hours straight that the blaster cups you had I need to get for our blaster here. Did you buy those or make them? I need me one.

Also - I don't remember much about the 289 that John mentions - but John, you should also mention what the bolt-pattern is for the bell housing. If it is really a '64 289, it may be that rare (not as-in "valuable" rare) one-year bolt pattern. If someone really wanted that block to mate up with the "also rare one-year C4 or manual transmission bell-housing" - it might be valuable rare to them. Anyway, you need to verify this and post it before going forward with selling it. And you should post the sales ad in the parts for sale section too. It'll get lost here.

On a side note - any of you who know my friend Bill, who was at the original Parting Party - and has come to a few club events with me - I just heard this morning he's in the hospital over on the Olympic side and it doesn't look good for him. Don't yet know much, other than he has pulled though a lot of things in his life just as bad, but if you are someone who prays, perhaps you can send up a prayer for him. And if you are someone who curses, then send up a curse for him. Whatever you do, I'd appreciate it.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"