Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TECH DAY! Joanna's nasty hood!

Very kind of you. But I think I'll pass.

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I'll be there on Saturday for as much of the day as I can.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

We will be working Friday evening. The tasks will be to pull the hood and the rear bumper. The hood will be prepped and painted on saw horses. We'll start the stripping process.

I have to make a brief showing at work on Saturday at 8AM. I should be home by 9:30. I'm hoping that Kenny can take charge of the garage if anyone want to start earlier.

I want to get paint on both sides of the hood. Saturday will be spent filling dents and prepping. I want to get paint and clear on the bottom side by the end of the day.

Sunday will be used to get paint and clear on the top of the hood and the back of the car.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

The hood's topside is stripped. Work will begin on the bottom side at 9:00 a.m. Tomorrow morning. There are two very small dents to fill. The hood is in pretty good shape overall.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Yes, I think it will look pretty sharp when it's done! Some Simple Green with a Scotch Brite pad on the underside and a light sanding should be all it needs.

Has anyone ever had to adhere the cross braces to the sheetmetal on the underside of a hood? I think with the engine fire, it may have loosened up the original stuff. Would liquid nail work??

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

There is a polyurethane sealant I used on all the seams on the flarechero (that name is sticking) and you can get it from Home Depot. Found a couple restoration sites on-line that mentioned this stuff. Very tough and flexible once it cures, but cleans with mineral spirits when uncured. And 1/4 the cost of anything similar at Wesco.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Do you remember the brand name? I see some called Silkaflex.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Whew!! 9 to 5 and we got a lot done. Cleaned up the bottom side of the hood, did a little body filler repair to 3 spots on the top side, and then put primer - base - clearcoat on the bottom side. Now that side's done and drying overnight so we can finish the top side tomorrow.

Also cleaned up the back panel and have a coat of primer/sealer on the bare metal spots. It will get the same treatment as the top side of the hood tomorrow.

Thanks to Gene, Roger, and Brian for stopping by to help out. Roger fixed the back window so it isn't falling out of the bottom rail now, and put in a new mechanical fuel pump to get rid of the electric aftermarket.

So the fun starts again tomorrow at 9:00 and shouldn't be such a long day. We'll probably have to mount and align the hood after work on Monday. Stop by and say Hi if you want!!!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

Its been more of a learning experience than doing as I am a body work novice. Well if anything, I got to take a few pictures. Looking forward to doing some spraying myself tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Brian
    '67 Falcon Bus/240/C4/Offy DP/MSD Duraspark II/Holley 4160

Looks good guys, and the sun to bake it, so when is the next tech day to do the rest of the car ?
    jh

Wow

Kenny, Pat and I wrapped the job up tonight and everything looks AMAZING.

I can't thank everyone enough for coming by and pitching in (Brian, Katie, my mom and pop, Roger, Gene, and of course Kenny and Pat)...

I learned so much, too, so anytime there is another paint-related tech day, I'm there!!

Pat especially: Thank you SO much for giving up your weekend (and your driveway) and loaning out your amazing skills to get my car looking so wonderful!

Joanna

So it is all back together even? Wow for sure! Got to post some "after" pictures.

I'm sorry I couldn't spend more time out there yesterday or come today. I was supposed to have my nephew come by this weekend to do some yard work for me and my brother-in-law (his dad) was going to do some work on the speaker box in my Ranchero. I waited, I waited. No show. They finally called at about noon today to cancel. Oh well. Anyway, I don't think I could have offered anything Patrick and Kenny didn't already have a handle on. Glad I was able to help as much as I did.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"