Thread: 302 for Smithkid

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    This is good news! Hope the new starter sounds more normal. Did you compare it the others and do they still think you have the wrong one?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

One thing I've learned about Ford starters (on my six at least) is to pay extra for the lifetime warranty! I've had the car for 13 years and went through 3 "the cheapest you have" remanufactured before I bought a good one.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I didn't get a chance to compare it to others because they didn't have a direct replacement on the shelf for the one I have. However, the guy I spoke with today claimed it is the correct unit for my car (agreed with the other guy). I believe the guy today was the manager of the store.

The starter I got was one of the cheaper ones they sell (rebuilt). The units that are touted as HD are double the money to start with, and go up to the neighborhood of 10X the price of this one. If this one goes bad down the road I guess I'll have to step up for more $$, but for now......

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

10x is a little much! I think my latest was $60 compared to $30. And I used to use mine as a daily driver so that's probably 20 or more starts a week.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

The 10X ones are probably aimed at the racer running ultra high compression and maybe long duration cams. They probably crank the engine faster, too. That's my guess, as I have no experience with them. The one I'm currently using is in the high $30 range.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Replacement starter installed today. No growling. Spins over much faster. JOY!

Turned car around to start working on bed and on tonneau. Maybe tomorrow?

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Got the bed plate re-installed today (hopefully for the last time). This time it includes the same modification that Roger performed on Flarechero to allow access to the upper rear shock mounts, and allows the bed plate to be sealed. Too bad Henry's engineers didn't design like this to keep the water out of there. This probably would have been a less expensive way to modify this area instead of all the channeling designed in to guide the water out of there (which didn't work anyway), and avoided lots of rusted out Rancheros. Now I just have to do the final caulking and mine will be ready for a bedliner to be sprayed. Great mod Roger!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs