Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Little @ time

Guy -

If you want to stick with the points, I recommend you do what Jeff did and not replace the resistance wire but install an inline resistor and mount it to the firewall. Install a new wire from the ignition, or use the one installed from the pertronix. Jeff has the resistor value you need.

I am a bit puzzled why your electronic ignition was not functioning. I also figured once you went electronic you wouldn't turn back. I run a DSII with an MSD identical to Kenny's setup and I have been much happier with the reliability.

Best of luck, I know you will keep us posted.
    Brian
    '67 Falcon Bus/240/C4/Offy DP/MSD Duraspark II/Holley 4160

Ok guy this is what you need to do, remove valve cover, turn motor to # 1 TDC and check to see if the valves on #1 are closed, just remember each 180degs will show TDC on the timing mark but it's not #1 each time, I don't remember what the other is [ havent had a 6 cyl for many years ] could be 3 or 4..so take plug out and stick a straw in the hole...jh

The firing order is 153624, so the cylinders are always in synch front to rear. This means #6 is also at the top, on the exhaust stroke, when #1 is on the compression stroke. 5/2 and 3/4 likewise.

So yes, as John is suggesting here, this is a way to make 100% sure you are on the compression stroke. #6 should have just been closing the exhaust valve and opening the intake valve while #1 should have both valve close and a little "lash" in the lifters. Not much, but clearly no valve being opened,

We are all assuming the the mechanicals were all in order. The back-fire can mean one of two things: either the valves are adjusted too tight and not building compression - or you are still 180 degrees out. Backfiring through the carbs is at least a sign you are now getting spark -- so that's a good thing.

While I was chatting with Gene the other day we both even floated the thought that you might even have the timing chain on wrong. Did you do that install - or the machine shop? Do you have any doubts even about that?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Smile

Thanks for all of your input everyone,
    I did not want to go back to points but the electronic module was bad. At lest that is what I believe was killing my spark. By putting the points back I've proven the rest of the ignition circuit. I think!

The Ford manual has a test for the resistance wire but I have not looked at it yet. I would like to know what the ohm value is suppose to be if I need to install a new one.

Test for 180 degrees out: #1 both valves closed and #6 with one valve opening.

I built the motor with a neighbor of mine who is a 30 year mechanic. This was my first complete motor rebuild and I knew I needed his help. The only thing I did not rebuild was the head, the mechine shop did that and all the milling. I was reading about the valve adjustment being to tight stopping the engine from starting in the Ford manual today. But I adjusted them following the Ford manual and under my friends supervision. How do you recommend the valve adjustment be performed?
    Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Monjure View Post

The Ford manual has a test for the resistance wire but I have not looked at it yet. I would like to know what the ohm value is suppose to be if I need to install a new one.
    ?[/U]
    Guy
    The ballast resistor I used was 1.5 ohms. If the voltage test on the pink wire tests out as shown in the manual, I would keep the original set up. Mine tested well outside of the specifications. I would replaced with the original style pink wire if I wasn't planning on going with a modern set up next spring... one that uses full voltage. Since I had a nice young man (Brian) already laying on the floor of the car with tools and a soldering kit, it seemed like a good time to run a wire to the engine compartment where an old guy can access it.

Jw

Here's the spec on the resistance wire. It's sort of hard to measure in the car because one end is at the ignition switch (plugged into the short black/green wire) and the other end is in the connector under the hood hinge.

COLF-12250A
    Resistor Wire-Ignition Coil (Motorcraft #DY37)
    61.49" long
    Color coded PINK
    1.30-1.40 ohms resistance
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Smile

Thanks for the info.

I just been taking a step back lately. I know I'm going after the distributor position next but I just had to take a break. I looked around the shop and it was trashed. I got out there today for the first time in a couple of weeks, cleaned and orginized everything.

I got to get with it,
    Guy
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's good to step away sometimes - but we were getting a little worried that you ran away from it completely, screaming for the hills!

Shop looks pretty neat now. Time to start messing it up again.

I have to ask... you said: "I built the motor with a neighbor of mine who is a 30 year mechanic." Where is he now? Can you not beg, uh I mean ask, him for some help to get this figured out? A 30 year mechanic should be able to sleuth this out in no time.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Smile

He was my next door neighbor but he moved away last month.

With you guys help I will get her running. I know I lined the cam and crank up with the dots on the sprokets when I installed the timing chain. With everything cleaned up I plan on getting back to it next weekend. I will find TDC with both valves closed on #1 and get the rotor pointed in the right place. I'll get there, I just did not expect my first engine build to take so long. I am happy I built the engine myself because that is one of the items of auto restoration I had never done before. Although, screaming in the hills is still an option.

Hope you guys are getting a little better weather up there,
    Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Monjure View Post
    Hope you guys are getting a little better weather up there
    Well... my allergies are saying spring is on the way! Today is pretty nice, but had 3 inches of snow a couple days ago and icicles from the gutters this morning. Must mean were close.

I'm sure you'll get it started too. When you find out what it is I bet you will slap yourself up-side the head and go... 'how'd I miss that?'
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"