Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Little @ time

Smile

Gave up for the day. I will get after her in the morning. The battery read 12.29V when I left the shop. I checked continuity on the 3 main fuses behind the ignition switch and they are all good. We will see what it reads tomorrow morning.

It sounded like it was going to start once after putting gas into the carb.

Hopefully I'll have better luck tomorrow,
    Guy
    Last edited by Guy Monjure; January 30th, 2012 at 01:44 PM.

Guy,

When starting the car, all the start and run voltages come from the starter solenoid. The brown wire should be on the S terminal of the solenoid and the Red/Blue is on the I for ignition. The solenoid will send 12 volts to the coil on start.

The brown wire (on a car with an automatic) gets 12 volts when you turn the key to the Start position, but it first goes through the neutral safety switch. A manual transmission car does not have this.

When the car starts and you let off the key to the RUN position, then the coil now gets voltage through the resistance wire under the dash. About 9 volts.

Coil voltage tests-

1) You can check these two voltages at the + on the coil in both Start and Run positions of the ignition switch with the MAIN cable to the starter removed to keep the starter from rotating.

Start/Run circuit tests-

1) Take a test light or volt meter and connect it to the brown wire going to the solenoid and the other side of the test light/meter to ground. Any socket with two wires and a 12-volt light bulb will work. You just need to make sure you can see it from inside the car as you turn the switch to the start position.

Note: No need to have this brown wire connected to the solenoid while doing this test.

2) Turn the key to START. If the light doesn't glow or 12 volts read with the ignition key to the start position, then you are not getting voltage to the start terminal of the solenoid.

3) I would then verify at the key switch, using the same light, the red/blue wire. If you have voltage there, but not at the brown, you may have a faulty neutral safety switch, or it is not adjusted correctly. This has to be adjusted to allow 12-volts to flow from the red/blue wire at the switch, through the neutral safety switch, then on to the connector at the firewall, which then turns to brown as it goes to the starter solenoid.

A big note of caution: If you use a remote starter switch to turn the motor over, and you have the key in the RUN position to start the car, be aware that if the car is in gear when it starts, an accident is in your future. Be very careful. You have had the engine and transmission out and adjustment of the linkages may not be 100% correct. Make sure PARK for the shifter is putting the transmission lever into PARK.

If you do get 12 volts or a light to glow when turning the ignition key to START, but the motor will also turn over when using a remote start switch, then there is a demon possessing you car. Run, run fast.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Smile

Luv65,

I went out to the shop and found the voltage on the battery to be 12.22V. This is a good sign, no shorts! The engine turns over great so I do not think the internals are messed up at this point.

OK, I had the solenoid brown and red/blue swapped. The engine turns over without bypassing the soleniod any more. So the solenoid and neutral safety switch are wirer correctly. Thanks Luv65!!!

Yesterday working by myself I put the key into the run position, not all the way to the right, or start position. I will hold the key in the start position untill it starts next time.

With the starter wire disconnected and the key in the run position I have 12V on the + side of the coil. Thanks Luv65!!! If she does not start I will continue working through the start/run circuits.

No demons, no running.
    Its going to be a good day,
    Guy
    Last edited by Guy Monjure; January 31st, 2012 at 07:15 AM.

Guy,

Glad you're making progress.

I've been debating, and others have brought it up too - and now when I see it abbreviated down to Luv65, even more so. I now have a 65 wagon and a 63 Ranchero and my user name no longer works for me. I guess I may could change it to RogerLuvsFalcons. But that's kind'a foofy.

I use the Luva prefix as a memorial to a friend of mine, Rick Swan, who passed away a few years ago. I used to work with him and he once sold me his 86 Dodge Colt station wagon, which he'd bought new, and loved it so much (stories of how he used his station wagon...). Uh hum, anyway, he was a professional drummer and my wife and I (when she was) went to see him play one night and as we walked into the club he yelled over the PA - "Gotta love a station wagon." So the Luva sort of only applies to station wagons for me in remembrance of Rick.

Anyway, sorry to hijack this thread with my little story, but I guess, for now, I'm Roger - until what time I come up with a new Username that fits me better.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Smile

Roger,

Good story!

She wants to start so bad. A couple of times she backfired. I thought I was sure about the distributor placement but not so much now.

I have air. I have gas. I have fire to the coil. I think I will take the coil plug wire off at the distributor and see if there is a spark.

Which way do I turn the distributor to advance the timing? Is it clockwise or counter clockwise?

So Roger it is,
    Guy

Sure sounds like maybe a tooth off or so. Or 180 degrees out, which is more common. The distributor advances timing on a 6-cyl going counter-clockwise.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; January 31st, 2012 at 08:53 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Sorry to say this but don't you have a falcon shop manual ? if not why not ?...jh

Smile

To everyone, I am working this as my hobby. It is a way for me to enjoy my day. Any ones ideas will be entertained, so help if you can!

Still working the wiring. I am using Part 2-1, Ignition system maintenance inside the 60-62 Falcon shop manual.

I have 2 issues outstanding of the manual.
    1. I have a Pertronix Ignitor 2, which the car drove on every day before I started working on her.
    2. I converted from a generator to an altenator, which caused for a different Voltage Regulator.

I followed Figure 5-Starting Ignition Circuit Test.
    My voltage dropped out, too 0.45 volts.

I worked my way through each Figure test before the above one and passed all of the voltage requirments.

For tonight I am thinking the starter ignition circuit is roughted incorrectly.

My wife says to stop thinking above it,
    Thanks Roger "CC"
    Guy
    Last edited by Guy Monjure; February 6th, 2012 at 05:21 PM.

I don't have a book with section 2.1, but I can say:

- At the + side of the coil you should have the red/green wire
    - In the run position the red/green wire at the coil should have 9 volts.
    - If you don't, then trace that red/green wire back to the firewall connector where it is combined with the red/blue wire (that wire goes to the solenoid I terminal) . You should read 9 volts in that terminal.
    - If you do have 9 volts there, then there is a break between the firewall connection and the coil.
    - If you don't have 9 volts at the firewall connector, then make sure the pink resistance wire under the dash is plugged into the short red/green wire coming off the ignition switch.
    - You should have 12 volts at the ignition switch red/green wire where it plugs into the pink wire.
    - If you have 12 volts there, but not at the other end of the pink wire (where the red/green wire plugs in from the coil), then the pink resistance wire may have failed. It happens. Easiest fix for that is adding a ballast resistor and running a wire from the stubby red/green wire at the switch to one side of the ballast resistor, the other side to the coil.
    - That is all the tests

A Pertronix unit will want full 12 volts. So you should have a wire from the center of the ignition switch (the long stud) to the red wire of the Pertronix.

Again, the + side of the coil, if a stock coil, needs 9 volts in the run position and 12 volts (from the solenoid) in the start position, as I mentioned in a previous post.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"