Thread: Recurve Duraspark

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Recurve Duraspark

Hey fellas!

I'm taking a new Duraspark II that I just bought to Vintage Racing Motors in Redmond to get it recurved on their distributor tester. Here's the curve I'm going for and some specs for my `62. Probably way too much info but I figured it couldn't hurt. Just wanted your opinion on the curve specs. Anything else I should bring up when I talk to them? I'll have the car with me too.

Desired Curve:
    • 750 rpm at idle (in gear)
    • Ported vacuum advance at idle
    • 12º btdc initial timing
    • 24º mechanical advance
    • 36º total advance all in at 3000 rpm

Engine block: 1968 200ci, specs unknown, likely stock

Cylinder head: 1982 200ci
    • Oversized stainless steel valves (1.5" exhaust, 1.75" intake)
    • Three-angle valve job (Top Cut: 30°, Valve Seat: 45°, Bottom Cut: 60°).
    • Undercut intake valve 30° (not exhaust valves).
    • Unshrouded valves
    • Combustion chamber polished and equalized volumes
    • Milled head .030 (57cc chambers, 8.1:1 CR)

Carburetor: Weber 32/36 DGV 2bbl progressive

Cam: Unknown, likely stock for 200ci w/hydr lifters:
    • 252/256 (duration)
    • 7 (int open)
    • 65 (int close)
    • 55 (exh open)
    • 21 (exh close)
    • 28 (overlap)
    • 348 (valve lift)

Ignition control box: MSD 6A

Coil: MSD Blaster2, 45,000V

Exhaust: "Classic Inlines" Headers w/single 2" pipe

Transmission: C4 Automatic

1971 4-lug 8” Rearend (2.79:1): 2,350 rpm @ 50 mph, 2500 rpm @ 55 mph, 2,700 rpm @ 60 mph, 2,900 rpm @ 65 mph, 3,100 rpm @ 70 mph, 3,350 rpm @ 75 mph

Fuel: generally 87 octane regular

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

They may want your social security number and date of birth. And possibly your mother's maiden name. You've given them everything else.

Honestly, if they need more than what you've listed (which is way more than I'd know about my motors unless I built them), they're the experts - and they should be asking it of you. The only thing I see missing is what year/model the distributor come from. Did you mention where you got it from and how much it was? Mine came from Pick-n-Pull and may be the cause of my current issues. I may be looking to swap it - maybe.

I still feel very uncomfortable about the work I did on mine considering the information on-line didn't match my experience when I got inside and started tweaking things. So I'll be watching this anxiously to see what you say and what they come up with.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Good thing you're taking the car..... They may need to know what kind of key fob you normally use and if the brake pedal pad is new or worn.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

OK...quit razzin' me. I've got such a bad memory, I keep all this stuff in a Word doc anyway so it was just a cut/paste! You'd be surprised what they might want to know. When I took it in for an alignment they wanted to know how much I weighed. I guess they have a ballast system now so they can put weight in the driver's seat and get it more accurate...

I got the DSII from RockAuto. I went for the Autoline brand which is rebuilt in Canada. I think I went for the `81 Fairmont 200. It was $66.28 with shipping and included the cap and rotor (but no adaptor). There was a $3 core charge but Jeff's getting my old one for his upcoming build.

There are (of course) a lot of opinions on the curve characteristics on the Ford Six Forum and TFFN. Mine has always seemed to like 12 BTDC for initial timing and I figured 3,000 rpm was a good point to be all in considering I'm at 2,900 going 65 mph and 3,100 going 70. The mechanical being 24 at the crank seemed pretty middle of the road.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Hey kenny, thats just what they need to know, I use to set dist. on the old sun machine's years ago, my 327 chev was set at about 12 to 14 at idle and was full in by 2600, by changing the springs and adding to the weights or shaving some off to get what you want...I still have access to a dist.machine at transmission kellys,where I worked a few years ago, good luck, and how much do they want for this service??

He's going to it for $60. I've got the springs and tried to do it with Jeff's dial back timing light but the MSD was causing some pretty funky readings.

After the timings down I can finally move on to tuning the Weber!

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

Quote Originally Posted by redfalken View Post
    There was a $3 core charge but Jeff's getting my old one for his upcoming build.
    $3.00 - I'll have to raid the girl's piggybanks.