Thread: New project wireing problem

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New project wireing problem

Sold my 65 Ranchero paid some bills and bought a junkyard 63 Econoline pickup it has a stock 140 or 170 cuin engine (I haven't look it up yet) it drove 3 years ago (maybe) problem is no spark I have a new stock coil, points cap, rotor and condenser and new battery. No generator, soon to be replaced with a alternator. Right now I put 12.76 v0lts to plus side of coil there is a small voltage drop on the minus side and the points are getting 12 plus volts but no spark at the plugs, points are gapped and are working. The only thing I can think of is the new condenser isn't working can you think of anything else it could be.

Also I have some questions about the Carb, there is a connection I don't remember on my Ranchero (200) six I think it is a breather, on the top drivers side of engine a hose goes to passengers side of the carburetor (not the water connection under the carb) the engine side is missing the flange on the hose to bolt it to the engine. can I just plug the carb end of the hose.
    Also there is no hose hooking up the water connection, I always heard the colder the fuel was the denser it is and more horsepower (cold boxes on old drag cars) so I was going to leave it off.
    Carb appears to be on last legs so if anyone has a good one getting ready to go to scrapper and is in driving distance of Tacoma/Eatonville . . . .

But right now I have to get the spark problem figured out.
    Olgraybeard

Check that condenser, that was the problem with mine. Sometimes them new parts don't work.
    The water hose that runs to the carb plate is not critical, I think it was there to help with engine warm up?
    The other hose sounds like the PCV hook up, you need that to keep you crank case pressure down. I ran with out one and it blew oil out the dip stick tube.
    Love the truck I just picked up a 62 Van that I have been working on and just went through the same stuff on it. Keep us posted... Here is a pic of the engine hope it helps with the hoses.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by doghows; September 28th, 2012 at 08:00 AM.

Worked a couple hours this afternoon found out when previous owner put new battery clamps on he got them switched, i didn't notice because stock cables are both black and most of the electrical was working. I don't know if it damage the new condensor, but I replaced it. but still no spark. Just before I stopped I noticed a small ground wire on mounting screw of points I'll check tomorrow if it is broken. Points aren't sparking but there is power to them so maybe that's the problem.
    Olgraybeard

A stock engine with a generator will work fine with the battery leads reversed. Even the gauges and all the normal electrical will work fine. The radio will not operate on a positive ground.

You need to re-polarize the generator and reverse the battery leads.

The points should have a wire coming off them that exits the dizzy housing and goes to the negative side of the coil. I'm sure the condenser is fine.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

The wire coming from negative side of coil to points/condenser was just hanging on by a couple of strands so I was getting a reading but not much current was getting through. After I fixed that the engine fired right up and even idles good. Generator is long gone just running off battery till I get the Mazda alternator put on.
    Olgraybeard

Congrats it is always cool when a plan comes together. I just got the new clutch in my van so I had a good weekend as well.