Thread: Replacing quarter window vertical seals?

Replacing quarter window vertical seals?

Hello,

I have a 1963 Falcon hardtop. I bought a pair of the following item: "63-65 HT Quarter window vertical seals C3DZ-6330146-PR". This the vertical strip of rubber that separates the rear side glass from the front door glass. I am trying to figure out how to remove, as gently as possible, the old strips so that I can insert the new ones.

I found a tiny little screw at the top of the strip. How is the rest of the strip held to the leading edge of the quarter window? Is it riveted, screwed, glued, or a press fit? What is the best way to pull the old strip out, and conversely, how are you supposed to secure the new strip in its place?

Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks, Dennis.

Vertical Seal Update

Happy New Year, Everyone.

Replacing the seals did not turn out to be all that difficult after all. I looked at the driver’s side vertical seal and saw that its bottom edge is in plain sight when the quarter window is up. I bent the metal tab at the bottom of the seal down and pushed the seal strip up from the bottom using a screw driver tip and the seal strip shifted upwards. I squirted some WD-40 behind the seal and pushed it further up until I was able to grab it from the top and pulled it upwards to remove it. After pulling the seal out, I saw that it had been fitted into a steel track that has two folded top edges that fit into the grooves that run along the length of each side of the seal. The replacement seal needs to be inserted into the track from the bottom because the top of the window frame curves over the end of the track. I sprayed WD-40 down the grooves on either side of the replacement seal and inserted into the bottom of the track. Then I grabbed ahold of the seal with two paper towels, gave a grunt, and pulled it upwards to the top end of the track. Then I screwed the little screw that secures the top of the seal back in place and folded the metal tab at the bottom of the track back up. The tight seal made a dragging sound when I first rolled the window down and I lubricated the dry rubber with silicone grease. Then I repeated the same for the passenger side.

Thanks, Dennis in Tampa.

Glad it worked out and thanks for documenting it for the next guy.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)