Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paint party

Paint party

Doesn't matter, wet over dry, and I used 600. It all depends who you talk to. Some say only 400 while others demand 600. Main thing is, that all the panels are finished and smooth, and everything that gets bolted to any area that gets painted has been fit checked.
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

I used PPG K36 as a surfacer and take it to 600 wet. Start at 240, then 400, and finish with 600. This is of course with a fresh coat of surfacer between each sanding.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

So far the car is mostly in primer. Been sanded with 320 everywhere. So do I need to prime it again and then go to 400 prime again and then go 600?
    Might be a while till I'm ready for paint??

Quote Originally Posted by doghows View Post
    So far the car is mostly in primer. Been sanded with 320 everywhere. So do I need to prime it again and then go to 400 prime again and then go 600?
    Might be a while till I'm ready for paint??
    That is what I would do. You can go straight to 400 if you're confident that you have enough thickness in your surfacer. You really don't want to bust through though.
    Patrick Brown

What is everyones and for the Fourth of July? It's on a Thursday so I am closing the shop and taking a four day weekend. It might be a good time to spray the car??
    Let me know if anyone is around or if its a bad idea. Thanks Steve.

Steve, isn't it going to two colors? that may take a extra day, are you going to clear it all after both colors or what do you have in mind? ..jh

Yes base and clear and yes two tone.. I hope to have it jammed and reassembled prior to that weekend. I am closing my shop from Thursday the 4th through the following Monday. This will give me 4 days to get it done...

I'm going to be on Lopez Is that weekend. I think that will just be fri through Sun.
    Patrick Brown

Body work DONE!!!! I think now to prime and wet sand to 600

Quick question for paint gurus. Do you use guide coat before your wet sand with 600? I'm thinking yes but want to check. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by doghows View Post
    Quick question for paint gurus. Do you use guide coat before your wet sand with 600? I'm thinking yes but want to check. Thanks.
    Yes. You can buy special guide coat in a spray can. I always use a cheap sandlable spray primer for the guide coat. I figure it's all being sanded away anyway. The pros may disagree.
    Patrick Brown

Thanks Patrick I have a bunch of that spray cab guide can guide coat still so ill use it up. On my way now!!!

Steve,

I think most people have things [planned for them] going over a long weekend like that. I'll see what I can do to come out.

I have to arrange a day to come over, or Gina to come over here, to deal with a couple Comet issues. I figure best do it at your place or mine. Kill two birds if done at your place.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"