Thread: What are these holes for?

What are these holes for?

The first two pictures are on the left side of the radiator support on my 1963 Falcon. What is the purpose of this hole? The hole is lined by a rubber grommet and has an inserted metal plug that covers the hole.

1-DCP_4100.JPG

The plug is removable and it is amazing that it has not fallen out and become lost over the years.

2-DCP_4101.JPG

This rectangular hole is on the right side near the battery. Is this supposed to be there? The cut at the top of rectangle looks a little crude and it made me wonder if a previous owner had made this for some reason.

3-DCP_4102.JPG

This shows the rough edges of the top of the rectangle. The bottom edges of the cut look smooth and straight.

4-DCP_4103.JPG

Do you guys have these same holes on your cars?

I have an early 63 and my rad support is quite different. I have cooling slots pressed into the passenger side about where your square hole is. The battery is pressed tight against these slots which makes no sense to me. I'm guessing the 63-1/2 rad support is different. Mine also had a prop rod set up until i installed late 63 hinges with springs.

Your holes do not look factory in my opinion. Maybe holes for aftermarket AC condenser?
    Last edited by Jeff W; August 10th, 2013 at 11:29 PM.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

I was thinking some sort of AC unit as well. Look under your dash to see if there of holes where the evaporator may have been. There would also bee a hole in the floor for the drain hose.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

My 63 does not have the same holes, however it does have a few 1 1/4" holes where the a/c hoses ran thru near the battery.
    Twas long ago, I remember dad removed the entire system.
    Dave M
    1963 Ford Falcon Futura convertible 170ci auto.
    Arlington Wa

I'd go with the evaporator being there at some time too. The PS hole almost looks "ripped" like something was tore from it - but could just be the photo. Who knows now. I know that in 65 they went with horns on the outside of the core support - about in the same places as these holes.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"