Thread: Steering wheel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Steering wheel

Hello everyone,

I want to thank the people who have given me good advice and information in the past. Hopefully I will have somehting to contribute in the future. However, I want to tap this great pool of wisdom again and ask if you know how to restore a steering wheel. Is there a special paint, or a shop that will bake the original coating on? thanks for your response.

SG

I repaired and painted my steering wheel about 6 years ago but it could use another cleanup and a fresh coat of paint. I used a rattle can to paint it (white) but it didn't hold up well. Next time I'll do more research and use some heavy duty automotive paint.

Here's a good link with some basic repair information http://fedora.net/falconaut/tech/steering_wheel.html

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Por 15 makes a steering wheel repair kit..

I'm not sure if it includes paint.. its more for fixing cracks..

on plastics I would look for a two stage paint.. first stage and adhesion promoter and the second stage the paint.. I would then find something to seal the paint..

Nathan

Kenny, I would stop eating that "Good Morning Sandwich" from Dick's Drive-in every day on your way to work. That grease is murder on the new paint.

I only WISH Dicks had a breakfast sandwich!!! Mmmmmm...

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Whats dicks? other than the place where the poor hang out.. according to Sir mix-alot...

Nathan