Thread: A circuit breaker?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

It was a bad battery terminal!

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. They focused my attention on the battery.

I had a volt meter plugged into my cigarette lighter and it was reading 4 volts while I saw 13 volts at the battery terminals. I noticed that the voltage in the car changed as I monkeyed with the negative terminal on the battery. The electrical problem turned out to be a bad negative battery terminal. It was a clamp-on type and the clamp was rusty and the copper cable under the clamp was corroded. I sanded off the cable and attached a new $3.09 clamp and now everything works! The headlights, dome light, and instrument panel, and the engine turns over when turning on the ignition. It is really amazing how the bad terminal caused such an abrupt and complete failure of the entire electrical system. It is also amazing that I was so lucky that the bad battery terminal and overflowing carburetor both happened at almost the same time and in my driveway! Either one would have been a real problem if they had happed while on a trip and a hundred miles from my house.

Behold the bad terminal:
    1-DCP_4152.JPG

This battery issue caused me to notice that my starter cable passes directly under, and within inches of, the hot exhaust manifold. It turns out that my cable is routed over the motor mount when it should pass under the motor mount. They make a little bracket that attaches to the engine block side of the motor mount and secures the starter cable. It will be a simple matter to re-route the cable and just use a zip tie until I can buy a correct bracket.

Starter cable bracket
    Starter cable bracket C6OZ-14431-A.jpg

Signed, Happy tonight in Tampa.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; August 20th, 2013 at 06:59 PM.