Thread: Interior misc paint advice needed

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I saw those gas tanks on ebay. About $100 new with the sending unit and all. You're happy with the quality and thickness of the steel?
    Ok, you guys are staaarrrrting to change my mind on the filler-filling it inside the trunk that is. I'm thinking I can keep it looking origional on the outside, but fill inside the trunk. Sounds like I need to buy the mustang tank with the straight filler tube now- when I search ebay (or the web) for the mustang gas tank- What year mustang and how do I know it will fit?

AND, are the holes in the flange in the mustang gas tank in the correct place? or will i have to drill new holes in the car?
    AND, Larry if yours is a falcon direct replacement, how do you handle the angled fill tube inside?

By the way, thanks for the comments everyone and thanks for the pic Kenny...
    Last edited by dhbfaster; February 11th, 2014 at 09:43 PM.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Interior misc paint advice needed

I am very happy with what I have. It wasn't difficult for me to hook up a straight tube with mine, but Roger and several others have experience with the Mustang tanks which I don't have. I would listen to their advice.

My car has the original gas cap on the back and all looks stock from that point.

It was an easy fix and someone in the club may have a straight tube from a truck like I used. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Here's a thread that has some good info on the filler conversion:

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums...read.php?t=465

You can get the `65-`68 Mustang 16-gallon tank, It will bolt in directly and all the bolt holes will line up.

Some people use there old filler tube but I took one off an old 70's Ford truck from the junk yard. The non-vented lid I bought fit it perfectly and it's straight, not curved like the original. Look for a truck with the tank inside, behind the seat.

You should have a vent tube on your old tank. You will need to have that cut off, drill a hole in the same location of the new tank, and braze the vent tube over the hole. I had a muffler shop do the brazing for me.

The tank needs to vent like it did originally to the outside. You want a non-vented cap so you don't get fumes in the trunk. The vent tube is the most complicated part. Not a very good photo but this is the vent tube with the hose and line attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

I've pulled off and given or sold (at cost) about 5 or 6 of the 67-72 F100 truck necks. Heck, I may still have one buried in my piles and piles of stuff. I tend to grab them when I see them. PicknPull used to (before they sold their souls to the devil) for like $2. Now they'll probably want $20 for one - and ask for a core charge.

I wasn't aware the Mustang tank didn't have the vent. I've never done the conversion, but didn't we do Joanna's at a tech day at Gene's when we installed her new windshield? Had she already had this tube welded onto it or did we only add the tube to her existing tank? Where did the Mustang vent tube go when it was on the Mustang? They had vents too, didn't they? Gosh, more to investigate...
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Also, you might want to consider (for future conversions) to add the vent to the upper part of the filler neck instead of to the tank. Serves the same purpose but may also minimize any "oops" overflow while filling. But probably not. But it would make the add of a vent tube easier to manage on the smaller part.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Strange, I did a quick eBay search and don't even see the vent tube on the Falcon tanks. Well, my old original tank had it for sure.

Because of a rear ender, I've installed a couple of new tanks over the years. I had to have a vent tube brazed in both. I had to find a new tube for the current, second tank because by the time I cut off the original that was brazed on the first replacement and filed it square, it was too short. I ended up using the nipple off an old PCV valve and it worked great.

I kept mine in the original position on the tank because I didn't want to bend the tubing that runs along the back panel and vents outside. It's connected to the tank with a 2" long piece of rubber fuel line.

And I don't remember the details of Joanna's install. I'll have to check it out next time we get together.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Interior misc paint advice needed

The Tank that I bought off of ebay was for a Falcon and it accepted a straight tube addition very easily and has the stock vent tube location. I am not sure, but I think John Henry sold me the pipe that he had extra. It goes behind my fiberglas shroud also so it is covered. When I fill up, i just lift the fiberglas part off, fill it up and set it back in place. It is so easy without all the mess now. Thanks to the members who talked me into doing the change. Well worth the effort. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Pretty pink bottom

Just a follow up on all the bottom paint advice I had on this thread (and so you guys know I haven't been totally sitting on my butt since I started this thread) ...I finally got the bottom done.
    I had the one spot that needed to be welded. Pic attached.
    I found a car guy welder refered by my optomitrist who turned out to be quite a hot rod builder...another new friend...he did a great job on this and the couple other things I needed for much less than the cost of a welder, and I got free welding lessons.
    Other than that spot, the actual bottom of the car was pretty good. I completely cleaned all the old undercoating off the fenders and bottom along with some rust cleaning and zinc phosphate treatment where it made sense, and completely scraped and scoured the entire bottom. I treated everything with either the Eastwood Pre or Laquer thinner before painting, and then painted the entire bottom and fenders with the eastwood rust encapsulator, and in the fenders and rear I followed that by the rubberized rust encapsulator, and then switched to the regular. (By the way...I don't recomend the Eastwood rubberized rust encapsulator....impossible to get more than 50% out of a can!) (the regular stuff in the spray cans worked beautiful.)
    Still can't find them, but my abs have to be much improved, but most importantly the bottom and inside of the fenders are now a work of art painted black with a perfect light rubberized texture that seems to be stuck on pretty well. Pic of the font fenders attached.
    For most of the actual underside the primer was on there so good, it didn't make sense to take it off. Pic of the nice pink bottom attached. I'll try to get a pic of the bottom when I get a chance. All the suspension parts are ready. Now...time to get that rear axle back together and get this thing on wheels again!
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree