This is on the low end of technical complexity, but last night my instrument panel lights quit working. The dome light and turn signal lights still worked. Tonight I looked at the exterior lighting schematic and saw that the two bulbs in the instrument panel were in-line with their own one-amp fuse on a blue-red wire. I looked in the service manual and did not see a one-amp fuse in the fuse panel behind the light switch. I looked under the dash and found a plastic in-line fuse holder on a turquoise wire with a red stripe. Figuring that it must be the one I needed, I opened it up and found a tiny fuse marked “BUSS AGA 1”.

BUSS AGA 1.jpg

I checked the fuse with a multimeter and saw that it was open. I went to Auto Zone ("Get in the Zone, Auto Zone") and bought an “8-fuse, low amp AGA fuse assortment” for $3.20. It included a 1 amp and 2 amp fuse. I chose the 2 amp fuse on the theory that it had been the increased load from the extra five bulbs that had been added to the circuit for the ash tray, glove box, and three gauges that had caused the original one amp fuse to over load. I put the new 2 amp fuse into the fuse holder and everything lit up. Yay!