Thread: Fan Shroud

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

It's a meat slicer.

Quote Originally Posted by SmithKid View Post
    I know a shroud would help, but maybe some paint scheme that could be readily seen? Maybe a spiral design on the blades to appear as though it's moving?
    I went with an aircraft theme and painted the fan tips red.

Installed 16 inch fan blade.jpg

The red tips show up nice. I think that the fan turns too fast for a spiral pattern to be seen.

16 inch fan blade in motion.jpg

After I put in a rebuilt radiator I found that the tips of the 17.5" fan blade that came with the car were extremely close to the lower hose and transmission lines. I switched it for a 16.25" fan that came out of a 1966 six cylinder Mustang to get better clearance and used a one inch spacer to mount it one inch from the radiator. The two blades are similar in size (7% width difference), but the tips on the larger one are more rounded. Maybe the rounded tips makes it more quiet?

17.5 and 16.25 inch fan blades.jpg

I use a 180 degree thermostat and the stock 260 seems to be a cool running engine. I used this radiator temperature cap to verify the accuracy of the instrument panel gauge. After driving for 35 minutes the radiator temperature was 160 degrees. I drove for 35 minutes in moderate traffic yesterday with a 91 degree air temperature while coming home from work. The dash temperature gauge stayed at a little under mid-range.
    160 degrees after 35 minutes.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; May 10th, 2014 at 05:43 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)