Thread: `62 winter projects

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Jeff the only difference in the braces is that yours work and came with the car and the others cost money. I didn't take mine out when I removed the motor for what ever thats worth ...jh

Quote Originally Posted by falcon cobra View Post
    Jeff the only difference in the braces is that yours work and came with the car and the others cost money. ...jh
    Great! Glad I wasn't missing something. My work is done then.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

You could fab some stainless covers for them and they would look just fine. my welder fab guy wanted to know why I didn't do that. he has worked with stainless for years...jh

I bought a PST sway bar for my wagon right after I bought it in 1997. Made a world of difference - especially on a wagon, which is typically squirrely as it is. Bill Williams sold me one (same brand and size) for my Ranchero, which I will be installing soon as well. I'm pretty sure the locations are the same 60-65 for all these brackets and bushings. Not sure why they'd say otherwise. I used the poly bushings on the wagon with no issues so far, but have read complaints about squeaks, IIRC. Been too many years ago.

I assume you have a belly bar under it, but I will probably fabricate one for the Ranchero, as well as a Monte-Carlo bar. Adding a V8 to the Ranchero, when it doesn't have torque boxes - I think it will appreciate any rigidity I can throw at it. The stock 6 belly bar will not fit (I tried) due to the V8 motor mounts. The MC bars I've seen, where they make provision for the air cleaner - I think defeat the purpose of having them. You can't expect a "bent bar" to provide any strength on push/pull and are for looks only, if you ask me. It will simply flex. The bar must be straight to be rigid - unless it is heavy wall and much bigger... like the sway bar is.

I had my headers coated after about 5 or 6 times off getting sand-blasted and painted with everything that claimed to withstand the temps. None did. Finally took it to Performance Coatings too, and has been fine since. You may save a buck or two if you can sand blast it, but they're gonna do it again, I imagine, to deal with the internal cleanliness.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"