Thread: Rust Repair!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    It makes me SO NERVOUS seeing the trim and tailights, etc left on. I've seen so many post-paint job scuffs on these things. Tape won't keep a sander from sanding the trim. I know, most of it's hard to remove, but the taillights and grille are not hard to remove and would be better to paint below them than around them.

It's looking very good though - I hope it comes out to your liking.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Paint and Body

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    It makes me SO NERVOUS seeing the trim and tailights, etc left on. I've seen so many post-paint job scuffs on these things. I know, most of it's hard to remove, but the taillights and grille are not hard to remove and would be better to paint below them than around them.
    True, but .... removing items has its own risks.

Point noted on the tail lights. I am not eager to insist that they be removed because that would require detaching the wires and all the wires were painted black when a previous owner painted inside the trunk. The paint guys will not want to get involved with figuring out the electrical wiring. It (hopefully) would not be terribly difficult for me to sort out in their parking lot before driving the car home, but it might be easier to avoid that issue by just taping the lights and carefully sanding around them.

It would be easy to remove the grill, but it looks like it would be OK to cover it with paper and leave it in place. I won't be painting behind the grill. They have already sanded the hood. They do need to sand the "lip" below the grill, but it doesn't seem necessary to remove the grill in order to do that.

For each trim item removed, there is a chance that it might get bent, screws or nuts or the part itself might be lost, or they might scratch the paint while re-attaching it.

The side trim strip on each side is held in place with probably twenty attachment points. The strips could be bent while trying to pull them off. The insertion holes could be rusted and make it difficult to re-attach the trim.

Removing things like roof-gutter trim, window and windshield trim, and door handles would be nice because it would avoid the scuff issue and allow painting beneath them. But, that would be a lot of additional work and time is money.

I am not expecting perfection out of this, but am hoping for something a good bit better than what I had going in. We shall see. The manager said that he expects to "start shooting color" this coming week.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; December 7th, 2013 at 05:32 AM.

Well, do want you will but I agree with Roger on removing what you can of the trim. You'll be happier in the end. I've seen too many cars where you can tell things were masked when you look close and I just think "Why?"

As far as the taillight wiring goes, just use some masking tape and a Sharpie to label the corresponding terminals and you'll have both lights out in 30 minutes or less.

Just be careful with transporting the grille but I would remove that for sure. While the paint job is getting finished, use the time to put the trim on the bench and give it a spit shine. Maybe touch up the black paint if needed. If you pay attention when transporting, the risk of damage is minimal.

I would even take five minutes to remove the antenna bezel and drop the rest into the finder a little before they tape the hole. Just leave enough antenna sticking up to grab it when you're putting things back together.

I know I wouldn't want someone cutting and buffing around trim that I could easily remove. High RPM disks can suddenly skip and just a fraction of a second on the trim can leave a nasty mark! In a perfect world that wouldn't happen but why take the chance.

All of the side trim hardware to reattach it is available repop. I'd remove those if it was my car. Same with door handles. The stainless trim could be left on and masked. Stainless is pretty tough so risk of damage is minimal.

So, just my 2ยข. Paint is a pricey piece of the restoration process that you won't want to redo anytime soon. Not a good place to skimp IMHO.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Agreed on removing what you can. The tail lights and grill for sure. There is a panel under that grill that can't be painted properly with the grill in place. The tail lights come out so easily. It would take longer to mask them than to remove.
    Patrick Brown
    331 Stroker / T5 / 8" / Wilwood Disks / RRS R&P Steering / Megasquirt EFI

Pull it pull it pull it. 10 minutes for the grill 15 max for tail lights youll be happy you did.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

I had the same side trim on my 63 Futura. It did have the rust you mentioned originating from the holes for the trim mounting hardware. I know this because it spread beyond the edge of the trim and started bubbling the paint on the visible part of the panel.

The car was from Wisconsin... the rust belt. I don't know if Floria has similar challenges.

On the other hand you have to draw the line somewhere or every project would become a complete restoration.

Good luck and enjoy the fresh paint.
    Last edited by Jeff W; December 8th, 2013 at 12:03 AM.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Paint and Body

Thanks for the input guys.

I will defer to your advice and collective wisdom and call the shop tomorrow morning and request that the remaining trim items be removed.

Hopefully, this will not open cans of worms. Jeff is indeed correct when he said: "... you have to draw the line somewhere or every project would become a complete restoration."

In retrospect, I wish that I had thought to take off all the trim myself before taking it to the paint shop. It makes things a bit awkward to want to start working on the car once it is in someone else's garage.