Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tech Day

Thanks for the detailed update and the perseverance!🏁
    Wish things could be easier but I'm finding out they almost never are.
    IMG_0456cropthumb

I had my head done at Action Machine and got the updated seals per Kenny's recommendation. I think they did a real good job, sold me all of the rockers as well. Might be worth the money to have them do it. Sometimes the money outweighs the headaches.

Is there a proposed tech day for this or anything else?
    Brian
    '67 Falcon Bus/240/C4/Offy DP/MSD Duraspark II/Holley 4160

Probably soon Brian. My rack will be here Tuesday and I think as soon as the head issue is worked out we will be swapping engines in Gina's comet..
    Ill post up details when we iron them out. Might be hard due to the holidays and so forth.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Still need to get back to the head work. I may try and lap the valves and see what pattern I get with them. Just don't like the looks of 'em though. My valve spring compressor takes so much time to operate. Spend more time messing with it than anything else. Should someday buy one like this:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Just a heads up, I think I'm closing the shop on Thursday and Friday after Christmas. Momma needs some time off. ( me too ) anyway if anyone has some time to waste I am going to tear into Gina's car and get it ready for the engine swap. And if I haven't got it done my rack and pinion is going in as well as the rest of my parts. I need to drive my car.
    I don't think we'll be ready to drop the new motor in but who knows???
    Ok back to you regularly scheduled program.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Woks for me, those are my days off. Finally good timing😺Miles and I will be there to get started. I want to drive my car too!!!!!
    IMG_0456cropthumb

Ok we'll see if anyone else has those days off. I know I want to get a lot done but need to keep momma happy too.
    Anyone else??
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

I've got some days off, but my list is very long. I may be able to come out that Friday. The thinking in my head is one day to do some work on assembling the motor and then another to put it in the car. I just do not see this all happening in one day.

There is a BIG part of me, after seeing the head work, that says we disassemble the motor, clean things that way, then reassemble with mass quantities of assembly lube. We do not know how long it has sat and what may have crawled up inside. I found a dead spider in one valve. Not bad in a head as much as it might have been in an oil galley.

So - save that for me and look at getting the other motor out, along with the transmission. We'll then be able to look at all the gaskets and seals on it and replace all the fluids when we put it all back in.

Steve - do you have an engine hoist and leveler?
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I have an engine hoist but not a leveler. Isn't there a club one floating around?? haha Just kidding.
    Maybe we should have a team pulling the old junk out, and a team pulling the replacement apart. Might be able to get everything ready and then just a day to put it all together..
    If all goes well we can stuff it in before the end of the year.. So lets plan for Friday at my shop around 9:30 -10:00 am.. If you need directions PM me..
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

I have another project lined up with my son and suspect I won't make the Friday after Christmas get together, but will plan as best I can for the next one (installation). Please post that date ASAP too.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Sounds good Gene we knew that weekend would be hard for most. I'll post up as soon as we know. By the way check the powder done cheap thread.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

Having now taken three heads apart - the orange 170 head is the only one I remotely feel comfortable using - and that only slightly. I pulled the head off my Flarechero 200 as well only to discover it is a 170 head - not a 200 head. Explains a lot - never felt it breathed well with the Weber. It needs a valve job as bad as Gina's from her original engine. Valve guide are shot. I have a 200 head given to me by Thor a number of year ago, but it needs a valve job too. So, we got what we got and we'll just have to use it - or throw money at something. I've put new valve seals in it since I had them...
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"