Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Mini Regional

Why not do it right in Fife?? I looked at the map on Google earth. Is the parking area large enough we could put 40-50 car there? I saw an RV place next door, and something across the street that looked to have a bigger parking area? Also close off the freeway? Might be some lodging close by as well?? Maybe we should investigate this further as it sounds like the owner is already on board??
    I wish I was a little closer, but maybe I can talk the wife into taking a drive in the next weekend or two..
    Nice spot Don...

I looked at the Tacoma address too. I think the only concern would be how many cars show. If we get 50 it would fill his parking lot full.. IE no room for customers?? Guess we need to get some eyes on these spots..
    Last edited by doghows; March 26th, 2014 at 08:52 AM.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

We do want FCA members down south to come up too. I personally think Fife may be too far north.

I've not done the math for distances yet, but the idea is to have a spot not too far north to make it be a Washington only event, but also... not have it be so far south that we don't get a lot of northern folk coming - which has been the case with both the Woodburn Regional and the two mini's. Finding a happy medium where we get a good group from both ends is ideal.

This is not to say that people won't drive. I was very surprised by the number of Californian's at the Woodburn show - who drove much farther than Kenny and I did (our only two attendees for that show). But even Woodland saw less than the number from the OR side.

Just something to chew on.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

I'll just add real quick:
    - On the drive up from South...good point, just a thought though- if people from down south are going to make an over-nighter out of it, Tacoma is actually a pretty good place to attract them up to with the car museum and the glass museum both close by and lots of places to stay. It might be more enticing to spouses and other family members. (I really have no idea...like I said just a thought- maybe we should get some input from the clubs down south?)
    - The parking lot at the Warthog in Fife I would say is too small for a mini-(but good for a club meeting sometime if you guys want to meet down south sometime for a change.) Places next door might be options, but the parking lot at the new Wagon Wheel Warthog looks better...haven't been there yet.
    - My heart's not stuck on any place yet...
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

How far south are we trying to get people in from? We drove 4 hrs down there and I think Fife is only about 3 from Portland?
    I don't really care cause everything is an extra hour for me from here.
    Are we thinking more towards Olympia area?
    Last edited by doghows; March 26th, 2014 at 02:59 PM.
    63 Sedan Delivery
    5.0 HO EFI AOD 8" rear

First off, thanks to everyone for your input. And thanks to don b for offering his bowling alley. Pat and I went to several places on our weekend visit but the one that stuck out was Griot's Garage. They are basically set up for a car show so there's one less thing for us to deal with. There are lots of restaurants within a couple of blocks. And they will put on a car care class. Of course they would like you to buy some products from their store but they seem to have a good variety of nice stuff.

It's also very easy to get to from I-5. You can check out their website: http://www.griotsgarage.com

So I spoke with them and we have locked in Sunday, September 14 as our date. If we like it, we can book much earlier for a 2015 show and get a better date. The last show dates were August 24 and Sept. 15, both days had nice weather if I recall. The show will be from 10-3. They will have someone there at 9:00 and they close at 2:00 but someone will stay around another hour while we finish up.

I hope that works with most people. We had some discussion on this in the officer section and everyone agreed on the venue and date.

So now that the place and date are set and I've agreed to do the awards, printing/mailing, and promotion part of the show, it's time for someone else to take the reigns. Roger? You wanna put your project management skills to work and put together a timeline?

I was also thinking we should probably have a special meeting some weekend to brainstorm and work out details for the show. Maybe around the end of April?

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Good job guys, it's on the calendar, and given that it's in September I might be able to get mine ready by then!
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Thanks Kenny.

I agree another meeting is in order to get things sync'd up. Let's keep this thread going until then.

The main thing at this point is to make sure enough of the local membership is committed to this day and can participate. So, very quickly we need to put out a mass-mailing to everyone with this news so they can commit. If it's just Kenny and I that make it, that wouldn't be much fun...

Once we have a list of those who are 100% going to make it - then we can start delegating jobs. And even if you can't make it, there are things you might be able to do if you are willing; like getting sponsors to donate prizes for a raffle.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"