I had another Falcon V8 I used to drive that was a lightweight, I remember weighing the spare tire and jack at a little over 50 pounds, maybe more. I drove without them for a while, just a can of fixaflat. I then found a tiny modern space saver "donut" in the streets of New York and it had the correct bolt patter, it fit, so I began driving with that in the trunk. I'm thinking a scissors jack for a Hyundai or something would save much weight.

I kinda' figured the fenders would weigh next to nothing. I'm surprised the hood is so light, but maybe the 64 hood is heavier, and glad to read there is a big weight savings with alloy intake manifold.

There is not only a "horsepower gain" by reducing weight but everything improves, the car handles better, it's lighter on it's feet, quicker reflexes, the braking improved DRAMATICALLY in my other Falcon after it dropped over 400 pounds. My current Falcon which I am putting on a diet must not be hacked though, I hacked my other Falcon but it was a dog to begin with so no harm done. This Falcon is stock, unmolested, and other than bolting on/bolt off, it must remain that way. I should stick a 289 in it, but I have no place to store the low mile 260.

Thanks for all those specifications, I too did the exact same thing over 20 years ago, weighed everything, seat belts, padding, even the tar I scraped out, everything. Thanks again! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ew1usnr View Post
I really enjoyed reading this series of posts. Decreasing weight gives you the same effect as increasing horsepower, so it is always something to consider. I have kept the following notes on various weights. I need to weigh my spare tire and jack. Replacing them with a can of fix-a-flat would drop maybe forty pounds (not an endorsement, just an idea). My 1963 car had an alternator when I bought it, but I switched it back to a generator because I wanted to get the car back to what it originally was. My 260 is running really nice now. It idles very smoothly and quietly and takes off with no hesitation. That car is so much fun to drive.

Engine weights: 144 (85 hp) = 345 lbs. 170 (101 hp) = 352 lbs. 260 (164 hp) = 482 lbs.
For 1963 the 2-door Futura weighed 2,425 lb.
The 170 convertible weighed 2,765 lbs.
The base Hardtop weighed 2,565 lbs
The Hardtop with a bench seat and 260 V-8 weighed 2,880 lbs.
The 260 V-8 Convertible weighed 3,046 lbs (166 lbs heavier than the hardtop).
Bucket seats weighed 35 lbs more than the bench seat.
The Ford-O-Matic aluminum-case two-speed automatic transmission weighs 108 lbs without the 7.5-qts fluid or torque converter.
The front fenders weigh 21 lbs each. Standing on end, they are almost five feet tall.
The hood weighs 42 lbs.
The Airtex 6838 fuel pump weighs 2.1 lbs.
The 1967 Mustang brake master cylinder weighs 5.2 lbs.
The generator weighs 20 lbs.
The original-equipment 260 cast iron intake manifold weighs 40 pounds as indicated on a bathroom scale. The Edelbrock Performer aluminum intake manifold weighed 15 pounds (25 lbs less).
The mass backed carpet weighed 34.8 lbs in the box, and the trunk underlayment weighs 8 lbs.
The set of four simulated wire wheel covers weighs 9 lbs.