Thread: Battery tray battle.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Progressing

I have received the hold down conversion kit and hope to receive the new battery tray today. In the mean time, I lightly sanded the area under the battery tray to smooth it off and painted it with "Loctite® Extend Rust Neutralizer, a fast drying, milky white latex coating that is applied to rusted metal to stop rust, protect the surface and act as a primer for the finish coat. It converts rust to a neutral surface ready for painting, creating the ability to paint over rust.” This stuff is like Naval Jelly, but you do not have to rinse it with water after application. I used the rust neutralizer because if I had aggressively tried to sand the area down to clean bare metal, I might have just ended up with a hole.

This what it looked like initially:

Under batter tray after washing.jpg

This is after painting on the rust neutralizer:

Rust neutralizer.jpg

This is what the rust neutralizer looked like after it dried:

Dried neutralizer.jpg

After the neutralizer dried I painted it with Rust-Oleum primer. I will add a top coat of satin black when the primer has dried. There is a small rust hole along the front edge where the area meets the radiator support. I will fill that hole with "Bondo Plastic Metal" putty and paint over it with the black paint.

Rust-Oleum Primer.jpg

I noticed that a previous owner had filed a misshapen larger hole in the inner fender. I wonder why he had done that? I will see if I can find a grommet for that hole to keep the sharp edges away from the wires.

Odd hole.jpg
    Last edited by ew1usnr; July 26th, 2014 at 05:33 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)