Thread: Out for a spin.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Confederate Statue

There has been a controversy in Tampa over a Confederate memorial statue that is in front of the Hillsborough County Courthouse. The County Commission is anticipated to vote to remove it to Oaklawn Cemetery this July 19. My wife and I drove The Wonder Falcon downtown to see the statue before it was moved:

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0268.jpg

Then we drove to Oaklawn Cemetery that is about six blocks north of where the statute presently is. Oaklawn cemetery is the oldest cemetery in Tampa. This marker commemorates the Battle of Fort Brooke where Tampa fought off an attack by a US Navy warship:

IMG_0288.jpg

We also saw the grave site of some 2,000 year old Indian remains that were reburied in Oaklawn. The Indian graves are under the slab ringed in red brick. The other two markers in the foreground are grave makers for unidentified soldiers and settlers from Fort Brooke. They date back to 1825 and the Seminole Indian wars.

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0293.jpg

The plaque reads:
    Here lie the buried remains
    of a small band of
    Native Americans who perished
    about 2000 years ago.
    These remains were discovered
    in 1987 during construction
    of the Tampa Convention
    Center.
    Let us honor the memory
    of these and all Native Americans
    who have lived and cherished
    the land we call Florida.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; July 10th, 2017 at 06:08 PM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

I like your outings. Makes me wish there was more posts like these from us all.

Interesting about the statue. Though I think there is a lot of "baby out with the bathwater" knee-jerk issues ("It upsets me, therefore it needs to go"), but I don't agree with that sort of mandate. I feel there will always be controversy until people finally decide to let history be history for history's sake. Observe and learn from the lessons of history. If you erase history, we may find ourselves repeating it. We only have problems when history, or what should be relegated to history, if bad, evil, unfair, is still held up as a banner for how we should be today.

But then, of course, who decides what is bad, evil, and unfair. I can think of only one answer... the greatest of these is love.

Love, love, love. (add musical note here)
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"