Page 24 of 43 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Saving Granddad's Falcon

Larry: that is AWESOME! I'm excited to have you over. rocker:
    It would be fantastic if we can get the brake lines all bent and into place and prime the MC. I have one of those cheap bench primers do I need anything else to bench prime the MC?

Also Larry- I have two nice mirrors for the doors. I'd really like your help/mentoring for installing those- I'm not sure what kind of drill bit to use for that...nor am I sure how to do it without messing up the rest of the door when I go to start drilling....

Kenny Not sure if you have been following lately...but in case you were thinking about coming down next Saturday- If you had time to make a set of stencils for the FORD on the hub caps...I could get those hub caps painted.
    By the way- the "FORD" on mine is white? Anyone know what kind of white and what kind of paint?

Dennis What time do I pick you up at the airport?

Roger Rookie question: How do we get the fuel up through the dry lines to the carb the first time? Is just a can of starter fluid enough to get this done? Doesn't seem like it would be.

Battery Question: I went to pick up a battery today (they are on sale at AutoZone) and the one the system notes for my car doesn't have any features on the long ends of the battery for my 1961 battery tray to clamp on to.
    http://www.autozone.com/batteries-st...?checkfit=true
    Its the 24-DLG model. The one at Orilieys is the same way.
    Anyone run into this problem before? Any recommendations on a battery that will fit right? Nathan?

Gene Thanks for the link: I looked through that clip website but didn't find them. I think I'll just get to restoring these - maybe this weekend.

Last edited by dhbfaster; February 25th, 2016 at 09:48 PM.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Saving Granddad's Falcon

I also have a cheap harbor freight bench primer. The only thing I think we would need is a bench vise.
    I will admit to embarrassment concerning my mirror installations. My car only had one on the driver side. So, I decided to add another. I took exact measurements from the driver door and laid them out on the passenger door. All this with the doors off the car before I painted the car.
    Only problem is, where the passenger side mirror is prevents the driver from seeing anything. It aligns perfectly with the door front post.
    When my darling wife rides along, which is almost always, she uses it for me.
    I will try to do a better job on yours if I can work up the nerve.
    Hope the weather is good, and hope I have my car ready to drive down there.
    Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by BadBird View Post
    [SIZE=4].. where the passenger side mirror is prevents the driver from seeing anything. It aligns perfectly with the door front post.
    Hello, Don.
    You might not want to automatically assume that you need a mirror on the right.

Reasons:
    a. The vent window to blocks the view of the mirror. They work on new cars because new cars do not have vent windows.
    b. The right side mirror is not worth much unless it is a wide angle version.
    c. Falcons did not come with external mirrors. They were an after-market or dealer add on. The following advertisement does not show mirrors on the left or right.

Falcon Hard Tops Ad.jpg

The previous owner had installed a left mirror and non-wide angle right mirror on The Wonder Falcon. I ended up deciding that the right side mirror was useless and removed it.
    Last edited by ew1usnr; February 26th, 2016 at 02:58 AM.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Larry, I do have a bench vise.

Dennis, Larry, I do see this potential problem. It did not have mirrors when new and my Granddad installed one on the drivers side fender- it was completely worthless and I always thought it made the car look lopsided. When I got the falcon two years ago that mirror had no chrome left so I got rid of it. Also, when I drove the falcon, I felt naked without mirrors! You get so used to what mirrors do for you that when they are gone...naked. So I looked around and found the nice period correct mirrors that I have. Difficult to tell for sure, but they look like the ones on Patrick's (white) car in the pic at the top of the forum website. I like the look even if I can't see out of them...

Dennis, it looks like that couple in the picture are about to have a hot date! I bet that guy wishes he would have had the bench seat.
    Last edited by dhbfaster; February 26th, 2016 at 06:37 AM.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Mirror location. Make sure the location doesn't interfere with the opening of the vent window prior to drilling. This is true for both sides I guess.

Mirror position

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    Mirror location. Make sure the location doesn't interfere with the opening of the vent window prior to drilling. This is true for both sides I guess.
    This where my father put a mirror on his new 1966 Fairlane. (I'm wearing the white sport coat).

Dad's 1966 Fairlane.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Dennis, it looks like that couple in the picture are about to have a hot date! I bet that guy wishes he would have had the bench seat.
    Bench seats are cool!
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Don, hope this isn't too late to help you. I recently replaced the battery on my car. (I believe it was a 24f). It has the little projections for holding it down. I got it at the Everett Home Depot, of all places, and was quite reasonably priced at $94 +$12 (core)(refundable) +tax (Exide brand).
    Last edited by SmithKid; February 26th, 2016 at 04:32 PM.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Don & Larry, I have both L&R side mirrors on my car and wouldn't want to be without them, though they aren't as useful as on a Non-winged car. The rear fenders are in the way, so I kinda aim them further to the sides, and they are actually helpful. Zoom in on my signature pic... they don't interfere with the wing-window operation.

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

Saving Granddad's Falcon

Gene, totally agree about both mirrors. Just wish I would have realized what I was doing with my passenger side mirror. I feel blind without that mirror.
    In the old days when these cars came out, you didn't have very many multiple lane roads. Most were 2 lane roads and didn't require as much checking for traffic behind you on the right.
    In todays freeway or multiple lanes, I need that right mirror to check traffic.
    We will just take the time to get Don's in the correct spots prior to drilling holes through that shiny new paint.

Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Gene,

I tried Napa today (when I bought the brake line and some other stuff)...no luck on the battery there, but I just checked the Home Depot website and looked at the 24f and those features are there in the picture!,
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Extreme-2...24FX/204852594

Thanks Gene!

Meanwhile my muffler came in today....I haven't taken it out to the falcon yet but I'm almost positive it's too big
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

A few tips when you do the mirrors. Mask the area around where you think they might go before placing a mirror in position. You need to be sitting in the car as you would be while driving. This is why I didn't install them here, could not do it without you and the interior.

Have a helper place the mirror where you get the best view without compromising vent window function. Once you determine the best possible spot, and while holding the mirror in place, mark the hole location on the tape.

Use a sharp 1/8" bit to start the hole and step up from there for the threaded insert again insuring you use a sharp bit. Once the holes are drilled, remove the tape and set the threaded inserts.

I don't recall which inserts I sent home with you, but use a bit that will let it slide into the hole without forcing it. Although a little forgiving, try not to oversize the hole.

Repeat for the passenger side.

If someone coming to your tech day has a rivnut tool, ask them to bring it along so you can set the threaded inserts. I highly recommend blue loctite on the screws for an added measure of protection.
    Phil

Thanks for the tips Phil

My new muffler came in...it's too big.
    Il have to call the guy tomorrow. Any problem starting up without a muffler Roger?

Got the front seat in...looks really nice. Finished buffing one of the long stainless pieces that goes over the door...also came out great.

Jason got the parking brake on...but the cable seems too tight. I think I'll save that one for you guys yo look at Saturday...I don't see anything obvious wrong.

Battery fit perfect!

Literally 10 minutes before my Melvins order showed up yesterday I accidentally found the two parts I was looking for...meanwhile two of the parts I did need are back ordered!

Two steps forward and one step back.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Man,

Away from the computer a couple days and the entire world passes you by.

Let's see...

Mirrors - I have them on both sides on both cars. On the Ranchero they are the standard round Falcon mirrors. On the wagon I installed the round Mustang-style adjustable mirror set (DS only is adjustable). Both cars have a large blind-spot mirror on them on the passenger side. I installed both sides like this and I can see the mirrors fine and the wings open almost 100 degrees from closed on the Ranchero, which is plenty to force air in for the 1960's air conditioning:

mirror.JPG
    Ranchero PS

My wagon I installed them rearward of the wing just enough to open them.

mirror_w1.JPG
    viewinside.JPG
    interior2.JPG

Never took specific images of them, but the above are what I can grab from where I'm at.

I have a thread-sert tool, but be prepared to have at least 1/4" holes drilled to accept these mirror-sized screws, which I use 10-32 counter-sunk Stainless screws when I do it.

Fuel from the tank? I left my electric fuel pump with Gene not thinking it would be needed and he's on the road again. I think we can fill the fuel bowl to start the car and it should suck gas up plenty fast while running with all new tight lines.

We are breaking in the cam too, right?

I have some pre-bent brake lines I use to bench-bleed the M/C. But Larry, bring what you have too. Between the both of us we should be able to get that wrapped up assuming nobody else is gonna make it and help out.

No problem starting without the muffler. Do you have the tail-pipe on at least? You want me to bring the Cherry Bomb? That would sound very nice.

I have the cigar lighter element too. What else have I promised I am forgetting for the next time we meet-up? I'll bring my bag-o-clips just in case.

You got a good voltmeter?

E-brake? We'll have a look.

Dennis, I can pick you up at the airport on the way to Don's place
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; February 29th, 2016 at 03:05 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"