Page 26 of 43 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Saving Granddad's Falcon

Saving Granddad's Falcon

Can't tell much from the picture of the control arm. Not sure why no one would tackle straightening it. Guess we will see what can be done tomorrow. The tags you have for the long block pretty much match the directions I dad. I didn't have anything about the cooler though.
    Also, did get your PM and plan to be there around 9. See you all there. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Out in the garage now collecting bits and pieces for tomorrow. Will be there near 9 but not later than 10.

Looks like the arm is twisted, not bent, from the picture. But agree with Larry we'll have to take a look see.

Scrolling through the thread to figure all to bring, but I didn't have 10-24 threadsert tool. Have 10-32 and some stainless screws, which I'm bringing.

See you in the AM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Yes, the control arm is twisted. Should I go get the hydraulic press out of storage?
    I agree we should be able to get it back to where it needs to be-I'm just not sure how. Worst case if it seems flimsy weld some small angle iron pieces in there. Also , the bushing may be too loose now. It took a lot to get the old one out. Anyway, I'll see what you think in the morning. Let me know if I should bring the hydraulic press if you get this in time. If I don't hear from you I'll probably just go get it.

Screws for mirrors...if those screws don't fit, Phil send me the instructions by email for how to squash these without the tool.

Larry...on the oil cooler...unless I'm off my rocker there is no oil cooler...I just uploaded that generic tag along with the rest.

Thanks and look forward to seeing you three!!
    Last edited by dhbfaster; March 4th, 2016 at 06:08 PM.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Not sure what press you have, but we will give it a good attempt witty whatever we have.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

In case you didn't get it by email...

To compress the insert without the tool, you need a nut matching the thread pitch of the screw in the picture and a thick spacer. Once you have the holes drilled, thread the nut onto the screw or another bolt with the same thread pitch (what I used to do), then the spacer (a nut one size up from the screw thread pitch should work well) and thread the assembly into the insert until you see at least 2 or 3 threads on the bottom. Now slide the spacer down until it contacts the top of the insert, and then run the nut down by hand until it contacts the spacer.

This is the tricky part, you have to hold the insert firmly against the door surface while using a wrench to tighten the nut against the spacer. You'll feel the insert "give" as it begins to collapse, continue tightening the nut until you feel resistance as the insert begins to grip the back side of the panel. You want to be sure the insert is fully seated, but don't overtighten.

It would probably be best to place a piece of 1.5" masking tape over the hole before placing the insert in the hole. This will protect the paint around the insert while you set it. Once the insert is set, peel the tape off and don't worry about any that is caught under the lip of the insert - won't hurt a thing to have a paper tape "washer".

I wouldn't attempt to save that control arm, it will be very hard to get the twist out, if at all. Due to their critical importance in vehicle suspension, control arms are never repaired if damaged, always replaced. That's why the two shops wouldn't touch it (and I agree with why).

Wish I'd known, I have some extra control arms and may well have an early one or two that would fit a 60/61.

Hope the rest of your tech day goes well!
    Phil

Is it alive?

Gene Smith
    Fredrickson, WA
    '65 Ranchero Deluxe
    302, EFI, 4-Spd
    Granada Discs

When I left it wasn't. I came down with a nasty bug last night and I was near useless. I left about 1pm (took 3 hours to get home ) as Larry was running brake lines and Kenny was doing hubcaps lettering.

Sadly, what's worse, because we had no pump drive tool when we dropped the motor in we didn't catch the fact that the oil pump would not spin. So Don had to pull the pan. Turns out the center bolt, which is the pickup tube bolt, was maybe .030 too long. Ironically the right bolt was in the bag of oil pump leftovers. Swapped it out and pump was spinning freely again. Then I left. Never even could eat a donut.

So between me being white as a ghost and that, it was a two steps back day. Not sure how far they got on the other things.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Every day working on the falcon, especially with help from family and the club is a good day.
    The biggest bummer is that Roger wasn't feeling well. Hope you are feeling better today Roger.

A few things we (and I use that word loosely) DID get done:
    Larry bent the control arm back and it's back on the car.

Larry was the master brake line bender and got the long brake line done and along with a tiny bit of help from me, Jason and Roger we got that installed and all the way to the dual master. The small lines on the dual master are done. Just the two front pieces are left...I think Larry just wanted to make sure I did part of it myself (which is great.)

Kenny painted FORD on three hubcaps...left one for me which I did last night. They came out pretty good...just a little touch up needed! (Especially not the one I did.) Attached a pic. Man you really need a steady hand for this kind of stuff.

Roger also brought a tap and cleaned out the hole in the manifold that I couldn't find a plug to fit and he put a nice brass plug in there...I had been working on that forever and Roger was done in 15 minutes.

Jason took off the oil pan with a little help from me, and we are both sore from wrenching to get the belly bar off using our desk job muscles...(maybe Jason would say speak for yourself.)

Roger, questions on the oil pump. You covered this but just to be sure:
    I took the shaft out and then put it back in....and after a long day I was 2nd guessing myself "ut oh...did I put that back in the right direction?"
    I think it's right, but was it short side out? long in? or the other way around? (I'm not seeing confirmation or how to confirm in the manual or online.)
    Either way, when pushed all the way in, it sticks out 1 inch. IMG_1893 shows it with the washer (circled in red) oriented the way I think it should go.
    Also, to prime it...IMG_1895 has a red circle around the hole I should put oil into correct?

Also, I already have the new pan gasket. Hopefully I can get this thing back together in the next couple days.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dhbfaster; March 6th, 2016 at 10:36 AM.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Don, it was a long day and night, but no longer feverish. Sorry I wasn't 100%.

The short end is out. The purpose being is to have that push washer close to the engine block so when you (ever) pull the distributor you don't pull the shaft out with it.

Yes, if you wanna put oil into the pump, it will be in that hole.

And on that note... back into my hole.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"