Page 16 of 43 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Saving Granddad's Falcon

For reference...here are some more pics of the dipsticks and the fitting on the block.

Img 87 shows new vs old. Old has the Ford logo and old is 8" instead of 10".

IMg 909 and 908 are a couple different views of the fitting on the block for it. (Which is really all I need.)

Meanwhile...I ran into omg 888...ug., this is the generator bracket...already restored! It has to be in my Garage somewhere hidden by the Falcon part gypsies!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

For the fuel pump installation fit up...do I just need to turn the crankshaft until it fits flush? (Then bolt the fuel pump down.)
    The book just says " make sure the rocker arm is riding on the cam shaft eccentric"
    Last edited by dhbfaster; October 23rd, 2015 at 12:45 AM.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Don - I replied to your email, but upon looking at your pics I'm pretty sure I have at least one of those license plate brackets.

As to the dipstick, I don't think it matters. Here's why. Your original dipstick is much shorter than the new one (eyeballing your ruler pic ~ 2.5"). The original dipstick was matched to the short "fitting" (actually dipstick tube) in your block. The new dipstick is longer than original, but matched to the dipstick tube supplied with it.

If you want it to look original, you could shorten the new dipstick tube to the length of the original tube and use your old dipstick, OR, use the new dipstick and tube as is.
    Phil

Don,

After I got over my 2-day flu I did get out and look in my shed for generator and licence-plate brackets. I have neither out there, though I do have two more bins up in my loft to go through, which may happen tonight. Seeing pics that Dennis posted of the license bracket I do seem to recall having something similar to that, somewhere. Where it went, who knows. If I find it in those last bins, I'll let you know.

I did find that exact bracket you show in the baggie, but it isn't clear from that post from you whether it was that part you need, or the U-bracket that holds the generator to the block. That one I had one of when I got my Ranchero, but probably let that go to someone else a long time ago with all the other unneeded parts I pulled from the car.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Roger,
    Bummer on the flu bug! Never good.
    I ended up buying a generator bracket Friday night from a guy on Facebook that said he had one (not the U bracket, but the slider bracket.) It should arrive today or tomorrow...so if it's in fact correct I'll be set, so don't spend any more time looking. I have the U bracket.

Meanwhile, Phil (per below) says he might have the lic plate bracket, but I haven't heard from him to confirm yet.

Question on the carb - and apologies if I've asked this one before...for the brass fittings on the metal lines between the carb and the fuel pump- should these have any type of sealer on there?

Thanks as always...
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Most of all the fittings are inverted flare - with the exception of the vacuum tube from the distributor to the carburetor. That has a ferule-like fitting that tightens around the line and into the fittings on the carb and vacuum advance. I rarely find those locally and usualy try to reuse them if I make a new line. But all brake lines and fuels lines are inverted flare (3/16" on the brakes, 5/16" on the fuel) and these fittings do not require sealant. Fittings that go into pipe threads, which there will be one at the fuel pump and one at the carburetor, are tapered pipe threads and will need a good pipe thread sealant.

After many years or assembling fuel-related plumbing parts I use a Loctite-based pipe-thread sealant 100% of the time. Teflon tape is rarely, if ever, used. The company I work for (FloScan Instrument Co) makes fuel monitoring systems... where leaks and/or vacuum-induced suction leaks (where air being sucked in creates bubbles) is not a good thing. Use of Teflon tape is, in fact, cause for voiding a warranty. Excess use of pipe thread sealant is too, in fact.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Roger...thanks. After further investigation, looks like I've got some of the Permatex stuff for that in my garage.

My Cigar lighter....a pic of mine is attached. this is what was on the car as far back as I can remember. It doesn't have the crusty old creme colored knob that are like all the other control knobs...does anyone know if this is OEM? or is it just an aftermarket version?
    When I ordered new knobs, I ordered a new cigar lighter knob, but it turns out it's a plastic creme colored one. The new knob is made to screw in, so if I want to use the new one, I'll need to find something for it to screw into.

Thanks!!

Roger...that generator bracket did show up today. Facebook can really be a good resource.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

In the pic is the heater control. See the black angled tube fitting piece that t's off of it? it looks like a hose should hook up to it. Anyone know what this is? Is it supposed to hook up to anything?
    Last edited by dhbfaster; October 27th, 2015 at 07:02 AM.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Quote Originally Posted by dhbfaster View Post
    In the pic is the heater control. See the black angled tube fitting piece that t's off of it? it looks like a hose should hook up to it. Anyone know what this is? Is it supposed to hook up to anything?
    That is AWESOME! The extremely rare vacuum powered heater control box!

Actually that piece was broken in the past and someone very inventive (maybe Grandpa) used a plastic hose fitting and epoxied it to help hold the metal wrap.

I haven't found that piece reproduced and ended up with a similar repair (not quite as impressive) on mine. Without that repair, the entire metal wrap woudl move in and out with the inner cable and not operate the metal divert doors.

I say use "as is" and keep your eyes open for a replacement.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

McGyver lives!

I've struggled fixing a few of these and I agree, this is a unique "fix." They have repopped them before, but any of those I've seen are worse than the originals.

The real problem with these is that you have a very stiff cable used to adjust a flapper that you are trying to twist to operate a switch. That interface to the switch part somehow seems to be less robust compared to a solid pull cable.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"