Thread: Saving Granddad's Falcon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Very nice. So, what was your dad's reaction?
    Scott Zimmerman

'65 Falcon Futura 2 door hardtop, 289 V8

First, in case it wasn’t clear, that is my Mom and Dad in the car but this was my Grandfathers car, my Dads Dad, then it went to the family lube-n-go business, then my Dad had it for quite a few years, then back to lube-n-go, then to me.

My Mom actually bought a 1960 Comet new so she really enjoyed the ride. That said, you can see the look on her face that sort of says...”is this thing really going to run?” Or “I don’t think this is quite as safe as my Subaru...” She was amazed how well it ran. (I always am too)

My Dad...kept saying “I’m so glad you were able to do this when I wasn’t” “and it’s great that your kids and someday grandkids will be able to enjoy it too.” And “boy, you really did a beautiful job”
    That was huge fun- and of course there’s no way I could have done this without this club and a few of you in particular.

By the way, Roger...thanks for the wires for the door dome light switches! I’m glad I’m building a nice little list of projects to really finish this nicely when I finally return to Washington.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

It is always a good feeling when you can share with your family a memorable moment; which, I'm sure this one was huge. I am thankful, blessed really, to have been able to participate in that in some small way.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Hi guys, it’s been a while.
    I was back for part of a week and got out for a ten miler...man I miss it. I can’t wait to finally get back and knock the rest of the things off the list.
    It’s top secret (I doubt anyone from work is reading this,) but I hope to get back more or less for good by this fall.
    Meanwhile I’ll be back a couple weeks in a June and it turns out I’m one of those idiots paying more for their storage unit than the stuff in it is worth. (And they keep raising the rent while I’m gone!)
    One of the items wasting away is this “20 ton” press.

https://www.harborfreight.com/20-ton...fQ%3D%3D%0D%0A

I think 20 ton is an exaggeration (Harbor Freight), but it got the job done for quite a few tasks for my restoration.

Roger, if you or any club members can use it (ideally to sort of stay in the club to be available for members), it’s available for the taking. I will be back the 2nd week of June to hand it over.

I also have a bunch of foam left if anyone is working on their seats.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Don,

With my housing issue in-flux (floating between a house I'm remodeling and one I hope to get onto the market while the market is...) I'm not prepared to take it and set it next to mine, but hopefully someone else here is willing to stash it for personal and club use.

Good to hear from you, by the way. Hopefully you get to settle back soon.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Totally understand Roger. Anyone else out there need this for anything?
    I'm not back to clean out my storage for a few more weeks, so I'll pop this to the top one more time or so before I give up.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Guys, home for just today and just went out to take a look at the falcon...only to find the muffler just hanging there. It wasn’t like that before I left last time and there’s no evidence of impact. See the pic. I thought this stuff was bombproof, but looks like it just pulled out. Not just one, but both of them! It’s probably due to my “customization” job on this...any thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Wow, hard to believe the last post on this thread was so long ago....but, I ate breakfast, and for the first time since since we got back from Canada I asked my wife "What's on the list today honey" and she said "nothing."
    I was like...huh?

So, I was finally able to dig into my problem with the horn not working (It hasn't work since I replaced the steering wheel) and I figured it out. The plate on the inside of the new steering wheel that makes the horn contact was spaced completely different than the old one. Here's the old one Old.jpg and here's the new one. New.jpg
    Once I figured that out, I was able to just swap the plates. I cleaned the old one up nicely, reinstalled and amazingly the horn works perfectly now. I don't know why the instructions don't tell you that.

Then I went out and picked up a bottle of the Griot's detailer...the falcon was so dusty...now it's beautiful again.
    I'm stoked- two things marked off the short list in one morning. Tomorrow, I'll finish off the detail on the inside of the trunk.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

I was hoping to get a lot of detailing done so I could make the jingle-bell at XXX on Sunday, but they delivered all the stuff the other day and set it right in front of the ghetto garage, so I haven't been able to do that. The poor car has been in that Costco garage for almost 2 years and it is looking pretty sad. But that is about to change!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"