Page 15 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Saving Granddad's Falcon

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    - Be absolutely sure you have the carpet tucked tightly against the transmission hump before cutting the sides. Any looseness will quickly steal carpet from your freshly cut edge and you will see the silver Dynamat showing along your new gap.
    I sense a little "been there, done that" in this hint...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    Question for Roger - is the 144 pump a 5/16 hex? I thought it was 1/4 and 200ci was the 5/16" based on the ability to install the larger distributor...
    Actually, I think 5/16" is the small size and they have a larger 3/8" shaft on the later motors. I had Don put a socket over the shaft and it was a 5/16" socket. I have a couple later-style distributors and will verify this larger sizing, but I think 1/4" is too small.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

OK - Hold The Phone - now I'm confused. Just a quick search seems to call out 1/4" and 5/16" shafts over and over (on one thread of The Hamb, anyway). This added to the oddity that the shaft Don was given back was about 1.5" longer than the new one he bought. The new one fit the pump and fit between it and the block. He didn't get the old pump back, so no clue if it would have accomodated a longer shaft like this. Had us all scratching our heads. I will swear we put a 5/16" socket over that thing. And I think the one I had in my Ranchero and then moved into my wagon when I transferred all that DSII stuff over to it, was bigger than 5/16. So, I'll know more after I look at my spare parts pile.

Looking at Classic Inlines site:
    All 144ci engines, and 1960-mid'64 170ci engines, had a 1/4" hex drive-shaft. The mid'64-UP 170ci engines, as well as all 200/250ci engines had a 5/16" hex drive-shaft.

Last edited by Luva65wagon; October 19th, 2015 at 12:42 PM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

That is why I questioned it. The link to the Oil Pump Priming Tool was a 5/16" drive. I think the little distributor is 1/4". Something isn't going to work here.

Do you have to install a new pan gasket when the other one is only 1 week old?

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Nice find Jeff! No worries...I came home early so I could work where it's quiet before a 5pm conference call....read this, so I checked it. It's 1/4". No doubt about it.

The long shaft (that we didn't use) fit perfectly into a quarter inch socket, so I put the socket on an extension, slipped it down into the opening in the block and it fits perfectly. I did a double check with a 1/4" replaceable bit screw driver shaft too...fits perfectly. I'll search for the quarter inch version on ebay.

More later...have to get back to work for a bit.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Yep, found an old shaft from my two 200 blocks and it's 5/16 - so I guess I thought we used a 5/16" socket on Saturday, but it must not have been. Both Gene and Don can attest that I did most of the work on Saturday lamenting about my having forgot my readers. It's tough to see that close-up any more. But all this time I thought the V8 shafts were 5/16" and 1/4" seems just too small. Guess not...

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Questions.....

Carpet..Roger, you said in the front the carpet would tuck UNDER the firewall pad an inch or two?? I have about a foot there...it could go way up OVER the firewall pad (tucked behind the heater) which seems like it would be kind of nice (warmer, quieter, cleaner looking, etc.). Anyone done it this way or am I out of whack on this?

Img 84 attached shows the carb spacer and the new gasket (came with the carb kit) on the spacer and the old gasket beside it. (I think it's the old gasket...it looks almost new, but it has impression marks from the compression.) The old one looks like it fits better...and it's also a little thicker. Use old or new?

I can not seem to find a gasket for the bottom of the carb spacer. (Although the parts123 site some of our suppliers like Melvin's uses is down tonight.). Any idea where I find the right one?

Img 86 attached is the heater hose strap for the engine compartment. It is useable, but brittle. Anyone know where to find a nice "as original" one of these?

Thanks as always...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Ooops - I meant 'over' the pad a couple inches. Hurry-up replying between phone calls. Yeah, that's it.

The carpet will be sandwiched between the heater box and the floor, so that is OK to leave higher, if you want. The bolts for the heater box are long enough. On the driver side the kick panel and steering column rubber will hold the carpet up on that side. The "cut edge" will be up under the dash high enough it will not be seen and should not unravel over time. I have seen some cheap carpet replacements that sag on the driver side over time. If worried, you could use a screw or two just into the cardboard of the pad. Probably not needed.

You may need to make a gasket for that one you can't find. I find it easier, often, to make my own. They fit better and seal better. Most are a little too universal fit for my taste. Especially thermostat housing gaskets. It's a pretty thick gasket, so get a roll of thick gasket material and get crafty.

If the old gasket looks good (no tears), and it fits better, use it.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Oh, that strap... I make my own. I've made a few for other members too. Not 100% exactly the same, but I think better. Dennis even got one in Florida, if I recall. I can do the same for you.

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums...1&postcount=41

I'm not sure they are reproduced, but you want the original (which I might, if I were you) I might try mixing a bucket of hot(!) soap and water and see if it softens enough to clean and reuse.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; October 20th, 2015 at 09:13 AM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"