Page 22 of 43 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Saving Granddad's Falcon

Service manual

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff W View Post
    Page 1-2 of the Ford Falcon manual shows below.

Also, I want that battery!
    The picture also shows Roger's heater hose strap.

That is a cool battery.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Well..... Jeff, I probably flipped by that pic 200 times since I had that book and didn't think to look at it. That's what I get for working so late. And that's why I have the Falcon Gods! Thanks.
    So, I gave it a try. It's got a slight bend to it that does add some friction- especially since I ran the hose that way....which seems to be different from that picture too, but I do think it's a cleaner run on the left. I have a hunch the added friction is why people tend to put them over the top. Of course, that pic seems to be an artists rendition...I have to wonder which way they were in production. Anyway, it seems to work for now. If it gets too sticky I can always change it. Thanks all!
    A pic attached....and what do you guys think of my hose strap reproduction? That's the original metal ends from the old strap, painted, then with some new conveyor belt material a place gave me and new screws. I think it looks pretty good!

Meanwhile...the dash is about done. Only thing left are the turn signals and parking brake. I think it's starting to look like I might get there some day...

I also finally got the engine fuel line on tonight...should have all the hoses and lines hooked up tomorrow night. My goal is to have the engine compartment done (pre-startup inspection) except for the brake lines by Friday eve. Should be pretty close....we'll see. I'm out to Vancouver for a hockey game with the family this weekend....but after that I'm back at it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dhbfaster; February 16th, 2016 at 10:31 PM.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

I think the longer hose that doesn't go to the carb spacer is supposed to go on the drivers side of the carb. My valve cover (at least one I had) has a stud for a hose holding clamp.

I think leaving it where it is may interfere with your throttle linkage

The rest looks just awesome. You are doing some great work.
    Last edited by Jeff W; February 16th, 2016 at 10:54 PM.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Thanks for that note Jeff...I noticed last night that in the pic you posted from the manual it is on the valve cover side and it seems to have a clip there.

I was going off a "before" picture I took - attached. Mine does not have a clip there for the hose (any more?) Hard to say how it was when new, but I'm going to give it a try on the valve cover side tonight and see how it works. Thanks!
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Sorry, us (Oh My) Gawds have been a little under the gun of late.

The issue with the choke cable is one of access. If the access is direct above, it goes above - if below, it's below. I think it has changed over the years based upon the carburetor installed. Though I don't have an image in my head of each carburetor and their choke cable connection, or height of each carburetor, which could affect this, the rule should be to route the cable that allows it to head directly to its source without adding any kinks or sharp bends or making contact with moving or hot items. Not always easily possible, but it is the rule. In this case the sweeping bend it takes is benign, but it would perhaps be more intense in the distance between the brace and carburetor if not a direct hit.

Choke cable from the factory would have been sleeved where they contact (or could contact) some other item to keep them from rubbing themselves raw. Most after-market replacement cables are bare metal end-to-end. The plastic sleeve does get brittle over time, so it's not surprising to see a factory cable without it, especially past the firewall where it is baking above the manifold. If it flows over the top of the support, I think your plan for the clear rocker panel material is brilliant.

Go GREEN!
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Gawd (I kind of like that Roger) any thoughts on the routing of the long heater hose?
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Here is a picture of the engine under my bench. Note the stud and hose bracket.

Jeff Watson
    Seattle, WA
    '63 Tudor Wagon (170 - 3 spd.)

Here's the bracket Jeff mentioned in-use on my wagon. You have to have the stud on the valve cover to do this. I think they all had them even that early and haven't gone back through all your thread page images to see if you've posted this view recently.

wagonbay1.jpg

This side shows the other hose, but it now feeds a water-based choke housing instead of heating the carburetor base like yours does. The red part on the hose just keeps the hose from rubbing on the fuel line and transferring heat from the hose to the fuel line as well.

wagonbay2.jpg
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"