Page 23 of 43 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Saving Granddad's Falcon

Whew...all is well, but I think it might have been easier at the hospital.
    You sure don't feel like you're in a Nascar pit stop when you are there waiting- I was thinking it felt more like a Seattle traffic jam at the time, but looking back, it's pretty amazing how it all got done in a day. Now the work is all in the recovery phase and everything is going fine.

I got a few hours into the garage last night, but have you guys ever lost something in your garage and then spend hours cleaning your garage trying to find it? then still not find it? Of course whatever you lose shows up right after you finally give up and buy another one. I thought I was organized, but apparently not.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Saving Granddad's Falcon

A couple of years ago, I looked for at least three hours to find a valve stem removal tool, I knew I had one, looked in every tool box and finally gave up. Went to Schucks bought a new one fixed the tire, put the new one in my tool box right next to the old one I couldn't find. I looked in that drawer at least 3 times. I still think Carol hid it for awhile.

When I was installing the engine in my car. I had just put it into the engine bay and was removing the lift tool that mounts to the intake manifold. I dropped a bolt, but didn't see which way it went. Spent hours looking for it, had Carol and my son look. Finally decided it went down the intake. Tried finding it with a magnet. Nothing, so before taking off the intake I crawled under the car for one last look. It was inside the engine lift support leg. It had to bounce 6 inches to get there.
    That is why I don't have much hair. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Yea, just went through everything again. Oh well, Melvins here I come. Someone's hot to keep these guys in business.

Hey, I'm having a hard time visualizing how to cut the hole in the carpet for where the parking brake mounts to the firewall. Can anyone share a pic? Dennis?

Anyone know where I can get new clips for the wire harness gage feed? There like 8 of these things and they are rusty, have torn up rubber and look like a pain to clean up. Pic of a few of them below.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

I usually take clips like this, if I can't buy new ones, and pull all the plastic off of them and then dip them into CLR for a couple days. That eats all the rust off and then I paint and then get some Plati-Dip and renew the protection. if the edges are too rusted away I put a sleeve of heat-shrink over it first, then dip them. If they are out of site, that's a reasonable thing.

Can you pull one off and give a profile view? I have a lot of clips I've pulled over the years. Some are in great shape, but I can't tell from your pic what yours look like.

Don't hesitate to look for Mustang Vendors to get parts. They usually have a lot more of this sort of thing. Melvins I've found to have more than any other Falcon vendor though - if you don't mind the wait and shipping. And they do love it when you lose parts.

I search all of the time for stuff I know I have only to finally recall I gave it to someone or sold it at the swap meet. Once I looked for days for my small Snap-On flat-blade screwdriver. Finally gave up on it. Then one night as I'm trying to shut my brain down to go to sleep, which is a very hard thing for me to do, I got an image of where it is. Have not pulled my rear seat out and the rear interior door panels on the wagon to retrieve it. I'm pretty sure that's where I'll find it.

Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Carpet

Quote Originally Posted by dhbfaster View Post
    I'm having a hard time visualizing how to cut the hole in the carpet for where the parking brake mounts to the firewall. Can anyone share a pic? Dennis?
    Hello, Don.

I didn't cut any holes. The top edge of the carpet stopped at the bottom of the parking brake bracket and overlapped it just a bit.

Dennis.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

I forgot earlier... I was going to mention on this too.

Because the e-brake cable comes upward behind the carpet you really can't fasten the carpet down with the e-brake bits. It should end just below it so you can feed the cable into the roller and then handle and still get the clip onto the end of the cable housing. You'll need to peel back the carpet to help facilitate this. The carpet should be held up with the kick panels and the rubber donut on the steering column.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Ok, pics of the clips attached. They are not great due to taking them in the garage with low light, but I think they are good enough. Three styles I am looking for:

Syle R: pic 5701 were in a bag labeled (by Phil) "Rear Rocker Panel." I'm not sure, but I think they go in the trunk...? Haven't had a chance to hunt around yet, but if I can find someplace with clips- I need these too.

Two types on the gage feed harness
    Style G1: Pics 5707, 5707(1), and 5716

Style G2: Pics 5710, 5711, 5712(1), 5712, and 5715

Hope this helps. I started looking at mustang sites today...so far haven't found them but these have got to be out there somewhere...otherwise, I just have to clean them up like you said. I did that with some other clips and they come out great, but it IS a - "mini project"

ON the parking brake...got it. Thanks.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

I check in once in a while.

The clips in the bag I labeled attach to the pinch weld under the sill plates where the harness runs to the back of the vehicle on the driver's side.
    Phil

Got it...thanks Phil. Any idea where I can find the other clips?
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

I have a lot of these clips, but those don't look any worse than the ones I have. I have no new ones. I would be cleaning and painting those if they were mine.

The one with the double hoop is for along the front cowl. The smaller loop is for routing the smaller windshield washer hose, if the car had that option.

Now that I see them I will look to see if I have any in really pristine condition.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"