Page 27 of 43 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Saving Granddad's Falcon

Glad you're starting to to feel human again Roger!

I bolted the primed pump back on last night, and cleaned up the bottom of the block for the gasket. Cleaning the oil pan without taking off the the paint along with it seems to be more of a challenge. I'll get there but let me know if you have any tips.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

I don't know if I'd go that far Don...

Paint between the pan isn't too big a deal. If you are trying to wipe it off with chemicals, then you just need to be careful. Touch up the paint as needed. Hopefully you'll be able to retain the end seals, which should seal nicely again with a slight coat of sealer (if still adhered to the block rather than the pan) I honestly should have looked at it before I left. Should have done a lot of things.
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; March 8th, 2016 at 01:21 PM. Reason: swapperoo
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Don,

If you have any concerns about reinstalling the pan gasket, and pan, you can leave that for the start-up day. It's not hard to do, but it's not hard to get one of the front or rear seals to slip out of place while you are lying on your back - and then you have a leak (followed by a rinse and repeat later on down the road). So don't feel too much pressure on that if you have other things you want to focus on.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Saving Granddad's Falcon

I'm glad we got a few things done, but still feel bad that we couldn't get more.

It wasn't just my hands that were cramping up. By the time I got home I could barely move. I started taking a diuretic a few days earlier to help lower my blood pressure and in locked up all my muscles. By the next morning I couldn't move. Pulled a back muscle, my right foot arch pulled, a chest muscle and my hands were like claws. Anyway, I hope we get another chance to help you get this further along.

It was also bad that Roger was so sick, but bless his heart for even showing up.

The hubcaps look great. Let us know when, and I will try to be there. Larry
    Larry Smith
    1964 Futura
    347 stroker

Man we sound like a bunch of old sick people!
    That sound awful Larry. Holy cow.

The gasket RTV wasn't coming off the pan very easily so I went to Orilieys yesterday and asked them if they had a remover that would remove the sealer but not be too hard on the part. The girl gave me some stuff and swore it was what I needed. That stuff was horrible. It didn't remove any sealer, and where it dripped down the sides it started to remove the powder coat. So, I cleaned it up right away and it seems like I saved it from major damage. Tonight I spend my hour (until my hands cramped up) just scrubbing off the RTV with a 3m red pad and mild cleaner and got most of it off except deep in the grooves where it doesn't matter anyway. (at least I don't THINK it matters.)

The rubber gaskets at the ends are still on the block side, not on the pan side- but they are oily. I'm afraid if I clean them it may not be good- so I'm thinking it's best to replace them.

If you don't mind if I wait until you can come back to put the pan on I will wait, because as much fun as I am having...I do NOT want to put this pan on a third time!

What do your schedules look like? This weekend is fine for me, and it would be great to know this motor runs...BUT Jason can't be there this weekend either. The next few weekends I'm off to China and then vacation on a side trip there with my wife and then next falcon weekend could be April 9th. Jason can make it and if that works better for you guys it's fine by me and maybe Gene can make it too. I can work on some other stuff this weekend...like the muffler if it ever comes in, the clips, the doors...or as far as that goes, we have enough to do a little time on both weekends if anyone wants to.
    Last edited by dhbfaster; March 8th, 2016 at 09:24 PM.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

I guess I got off easy. I was just a little tired when I got home! Glad everyone is feeling better.

I can't make it this weekend but can come over in April. I'll work on whatever still needs to be done. I always just scrape the silicone off with a razor and it comes off clean but that's usually on pans that have been running for a few years. Yours was fresh so it was probably stuck pretty tight.

Kenny Likins
    Ballard, Seattle, WA
    www.redfalken.com

`62 Tudor Sedan (`69 200, C4, 8-inch 4-lug 2.79 rearend, Duraspark II, MSD, Weber 32/36 DGEV)

Don,

I'm not really concerned whether it will run or not - and neither should you be. You used a reputable builder and these are some of the most basic engines, it would be odd to have problems...

oh wait, we had problems...

OK, aside from my lack the day we put the pan on of not having a tool to spin the pump that day, I think that will be the only thing we left with any doubt that day.

I'm thinking the April date is best. I'm better, but I'm not 100% by any means. It comes and goes. Last night I thought I was succumbing again and today is like... uhh...

So do the things you can. Leave the pan off. I'll check the pump again with it off one-last-time and then we'll put the pan on. We only have to stab the distributor after finding top dead center, run a jumper to the coil to start it, add some gas... and VROOOOOM! Or maybe that's VROOM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"