Page 32 of 43 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Saving Granddad's Falcon

Quote Originally Posted by dhbfaster View Post
    Yea...on the strut rod nuts...the nuts from both new kits were too big.
    I tend to remember one set too big (sloppy big) and one set not quite starting, but smaller. Regardless, both sets were unusable. Only the bushings were made to work.

June 19th? You have plenty of time to finish if you get to stay around. In "Roger" hours you have maybe 8 more to go.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"
    powered by: 347ci stroker | Tremec T5 | 8" 3:45 TracLoc rear

Roger hours 8....Don hours about 64!
    Well, maybe not that many...we'll see if we get any more road blocks.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Ahh....the small pleasures of getting one little thing done.
    Both mirror installed tonight.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Load-O-Matic and Spark Control Valve

Quote Originally Posted by Luva65wagon View Post
    Your car, unlike most cars, has only vacuum advance. Most cars have mechanical and vacuum advance. Ford's better idea was the Spark-O-Matic system, or some such name as that. This is only a vacuum advance and uses a special carburetor to feed the correct vacuum to the distributor to advance your timing.
    Hello, Roger and Don.

You guys made me wonder what a Load-O-Matic and "Spark-O-Matic" (Spark Control Valve) were all about. I found this link: See: http://classicinlines.com/Loadomatic.asp that explains it well.

But, he says that Load-O-Matic was used "on all V-8s until 1967" which is incorrect. V-8 Falcons came with distributors with centrifugal and vacuum advance in 1963.
    Dennis Pierson
    Tampa, FL
    "The Wonder Falcon"

'63 Futura Hardtop (260, Ford-O-Matic, bench seat)

Of course, ClassicInlines deals (dealt?) strictly with the inline six!
    Gary MacDonald
    ROGER's...
    EX... '63 Hardtop
    Had...
    Scarebird front discs
    200 w/ CI alum head
    C4

I spent some time addressing this a couple years ago too. Here's at least one post I made on the subject.

http://www.rainierfalcons.com/forums...&postcount=424

I don't know of any V8 lacking mechanical advance, but know of many without vacuum advance. But I'm no expert - as the post linked above proved.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Just a quick update, work has been more relentless than usual lately, but....

last weekend Jason and I got the master cylinder and brake system bled. Sprung a couple leaks on the lines, but I think we caught it and got it cleaned up without damage to the paint and nothing seems to be leaking now. Now I need to get around to adjust them all.

Then we started it up and let it run for a bit..noticed a little mist in the air...and found a leak at the top radiator hose that quickly got worse, so I shut it down. Haven't had a chance to get back and check it out yet. Hopefully it was just loose!

Now that I got the transmission linkage hooked up "exactly" like it was before...it doesn't shift from inside the car. (of course...) so, time to figure that out.

I don't expect to get much falcon time this weekend...but, step by step I'm getting closer!
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

Oh the joys of car restoration.

Hopefully you remembered I only ran the lines but didn't get them all tightened up as I was running late. If so new brake lines I've found really need to be cinched-up good. As you recall on the carburetor line (same kind of flare fitting) that thing just wouldn't seal without unreasonably extra effort of compressing the fitting.

But glad it is all working. You should post a picture of the Master Cylinder lines now that it is all done.

Radiator hose leak? Something we messed with with the heater hose??? Hope not.

Does the shifting occur when the car is off, but not when it is running? You should be able to cycle through the gears with the engine off. The levers you set so meticulously to the original points may not be good points for all the new tight bushings, if any. These levers are normally set and tightened with the transmission in neutral (rods removed so you can make sure the transmission arms are both neutral) and the levers on the column set at equal places. Often there is a hole to shove a pin through to lock the column levers together in neutral. Then, with those big nuts loose, you stick them in the column lever holes and then you tighten them. If everything is shifting fine engine off, then make sure your clutch pedal adjustment is correct.

Getting close to a drive on the boardwalk! Well, on the road next to the boardwalk.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"

Shifter- Jason came over for a bit Saturday and while he was looking at the shift linkage I worked the shift a bit...and now miraculously it seems to work perfect (without the car running.)

Clutch - The clutch seems to have little (almost no) spring return tension. I added the spring underneath that goes to the belly bar which it didn't have before...inside by the pedal should be the same spring (and it also had this problem before...but it is worse now.) I didn't get a chance to get my head under there yet...is this something that is adjustable? I couldn't tell from the book. I plan on trying to get under there tonight.

Hose leak- It was the upper radiator hose (that goes to the pump). I snugged it up and put a new clamp on there...haven't had a chance to run it again yet. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow. I hope it's not the fitting on the radiator, but hard to tell by just looking.

Brake lines-- I DID know that they were not all tightened. I went around and snugged them up good before bleeding- except I missed one at the back hose. It was one of the lines at the front T fitting that leaked. I loosened them, then realigned the line and re-tightened and couldn't get it to leak again. I will post a pic.
    Don Bartlett
    Federal Way, WA
    61 Four Door Sedan
    144-6, 3 on the tree

There is a big return spring that is part of the pedal assembly. One end of this spring is attached to a threaded adjuster to add tension to this spring and the other end is hooked over the pedal. It's adjusted up near the dash-side of the spring with a wrench. There is an instruction regarding this adjustment in the manual, as I recall, and I've done it before a couple time, but can't recall the exact tension. It will add a good amount of feel to the pedal you may not be feeling if too loose. The spring below (at the bell housing to belly bar) is really only to keep the push rod engaged to the lever as it moves forth and back. It is the pedal assembly spring, and pressure plate that offer the tension at the pedal.

Here's what my pedals have had (bad picture off the Internet). You can see the adjusting screw and nut at the end of the spring.

pedal-setup.JPG

Here is something from a later Mustang and you see there is no adjuster on this one. Because a 60-61 Falcon is a oddball from 62 and newer Falcon (meaning they had first-off designs that got changed in 62; like, the smaller strut rods) you'll need to look and see what you have.

pedal-setup2.jpg
    Last edited by Luva65wagon; May 2nd, 2016 at 11:17 AM.
    Roger Moore

63 "Flarechero"